My second rod build

newb09

Well it's little too cold to do any float fishing around here. So that give me the opportunity to start my second rod. It was much easier then my first build that was a big learning experience...

Here are some pics of the handle. Enjoy :)

DSCF9729.JPG

DSCF9734.JPG

DSCF9741.JPG

kj

Reel seat placement is a personal preference, some like it more to the front to allow the rear grip to fit under your arm for leverage, some like it in the middle as in this case, and others like to the rear, a proper reel seat placement should allow you to fish long hours with little or preferably no fatigue. The handle looks awesome by the way.

That reel seat is right smack dab in the middle! A bit of a weird position..

Why is that weird Bill? I run mine pretty close to dead center, my current build is an inch rear of center. I find it hard to fish all day without some leverage under my forearm.

Why is that weird Bill? I run mine pretty close to dead center, my current build is an inch rear of center. I find it hard to fish all day without some leverage under my forearm.

If you want leverage why don't you run a longer rear grip? I rarely see a rod with a reel dead nuts in the center, it's usually one extreme or the other, lol.

Edited by BillM

That reel seat is right smack dab in the middle! A bit of a weird position..

lol, I think it's the angle at wich the pic was taken..If you count the cork rings you will see the reel seat will not be "smack dab in the middle"

The dimension I v chosen are part of balancing the rod to my own comfort level, The Handle is exactly the same dimensions I have on my older rod (shown below)...

In any case they certainly don't look weird beside a nice chrome...

2011_12190033.JPG

Edited by steelheader09

Thanks everyone for all the encouraging feed-back. I know there is still lot of room for improvement. It will only get better next time.

Nice job for your 2nd attempt Khalid! What did you use to turn the cork?

As I did with my first build, I was planning to turn it using my drill set up, This time I approached the guy at the angling specialties and asked him if he would let me use his Lathe. For only $ 10.00 he ended up turning it for me ( nice deal!)

Did you glue the cork onto the blank and turn the entire thing?

Actually I did it the hard way. I glued all the rings onto 1/4" rod, once dried and turned. I used 15 inch long (1/4 "Flathead) with sharp cutting edge (sides) drill bit to enlarge the ID (very tricky process, not to damage the cork ends). Then rim it using an old rod butt that i glued sand paper belt on it.

(You forgot to put a winding check on :) )

Yes Mike, on the old rod I did not install one, but I put a fancy one on the new rod, same as below (from Batson)

:)

windcheck.JPG

Edited by steelheader09

If you want leverage why don't you run a longer rear grip? I rarely see a rod with a reel dead nuts in the center, it's usually one extreme or the other, lol.

Actually, beyond the fact that individual taste is the ultimate rule, the only measurement that makes any difference is the distance of the reel seat from the butt. The rear grip dictates wrist/elbow leverage vs. total blank availability; but the foregrip just looks pretty and so far as I know only helps when you want to bring your free hand into play. For my taste, I'd place the reel seat an inch or two further back, but that's me.

Notice that he had a short section of the reel seat sawed off, to make the reel seat shorter. Nice work dude!

p.-