Skunked on Scugog.

Locnar

So... I've been going to Scugog for the last 3 weekends, and have been skunked every time. Well, not entirely skunked... a handful of dinky perch... at least there was some sort of action for 20 minutes. Am I doing something wrong? Anyone got any tips to find bigger perch or any other species of fish? I'm not asking for your personal hot spots or anything.

Yeah it has been a crazy winter so far. It could very well be a factor to the lack of fish.

Too bad cook's bay is still too sketchy... Anyone ever go for bluegill through the ice on Pigeon? I've been mulling it over in the ol' brain...

Yeah it has been a crazy winter so far. It could very well be a factor to the lack of fish.

Too bad cook's bay is still too sketchy... Anyone ever go for bluegill through the ice on Pigeon? I've been mulling it over in the ol' brain...

I fished for Bluegill on the lower end of Pigeon last year and had a heck of time getting them to bite anything. I could see schools of them them, but they were like zombies. I threw every small jig, grub, gulp, maggot plastic I had and they just wouldn't pay any attention to them. Even tried worms. let us know if you go and figure them out. I would target the mid section of the lake so you can get into some 8'-12' of water.

Three of us went over to the Bog a couple of weeks ago. Tried in the weeds at daybreak.... nothing. Went out to 12 ft. with a muddy bottom and caught 5 nice wallys. 2@17"...2@ 18.5" and one 19.5 inchs. Had one on that I could not lift out through the 6 inch auger hole. Let it back down and it got off. Could not keep it anyways. All fish caught from 9 am. to 9:20 am. Went home at noon.

Be careful out there!! I went to the hut this afternoon, 1 km to give the minnows fresh water. There are 2 holes the size of a 4 wheeler opened up from the rain draining through a crack. There was 2-3 inches of water on most of the ice. At night it would be very hard to see with the headlights reflecting.

I've been into lots of jumbo perch in the north end of the lake, be prepared to move around a lot though, they don't stick around in one spot too long. Ive had the best luck pre drilling about 6 holes all within 500 metres from shore, everything I've caught so far has been in less than 6 feet of water.

I don't know if this will help, but I have fished scugog annually with good results. Each year is different. But you could try off of mclarens beach a little towards the left in around 7 feet of water. Don't go all day just be set up at 4 pm the bite usually happens just befor dark or just at dark. try an prop jig, I like the glow in the dark ones, tiped with a 2 to 3 inch dace minnow, you should use a cheater, but it always pisses me off because it tangles. I still catch ok but you will miss a couple always. 2 foot lifts and the jig will fall on it own pace, if you can hit bottom without weeding up make sure you do three bottom hits then just off bottom for the next few pause for a bit every now and again, if you have a sonar, slow twitching minimal when you see one on the screen gently raise the fish up off the bottom, if he fallows raisd him up around 3 feet the dead stick and wait for the hit. Gorskies is another good spot to go , go past the big boat on the left out to the lake just past the point look left, go straight across the lake almost to the other side, in about 7 ft of water, same time everytime. Use your second rod with just a small split shot and a single hook, hook the dace minnow in the tail area between the ass and the tail fin. The minnow has to stay alive. When you first get there add a cup of water from the lake every 15 to 20 minutes to your minnow pail so they get used to the colder water. I keep my minnows in a cooler it stops them from freezing and temp changes are minimum. Make sure your minnow is lively from 4:30 on.your minnow rod should be around half way down ie if your in 7 ft of water, put your minnow so that it is 3.5 ft down. Alot of people make the mistake of huggin the bottom on scugog there is alot of weeds and most bury the minnow in the weeds. What happens the eye's and crappie will travel from the deep to the shallow waters to feed at dusk. So they are crusing, dont drill any holes after 4 stay quiet and try to get away from other people. they will cruise in mid column. Have a couple extra rods baited and waiting in your minnow pail, the second you get one out drop in the new baited one don't dick around don't even take the fish off the hook, just get the next line in the water. The longest bite I have ever experienced is 25 min. Most are done in 15 minutes. I have limited out 2 people in that time. But you got to be luckey and be in their path. First ice is usually the best, and tapers off dramatically by the end of the month. good luck and post me when this works for you...it will

I don't know if this will help, but I have fished scugog annually with good results. Each year is different. But you could try off of mclarens beach a little towards the left in around 7 feet of water. Don't go all day just be set up at 4 pm the bite usually happens just befor dark or just at dark. try an prop jig, I like the glow in the dark ones, tiped with a 2 to 3 inch dace minnow, you should use a cheater, but it always pisses me off because it tangles. I still catch ok but you will miss a couple always. 2 foot lifts and the jig will fall on it own pace, if you can hit bottom without weeding up make sure you do three bottom hits then just off bottom for the next few pause for a bit every now and again, if you have a sonar, slow twitching minimal when you see one on the screen gently raise the fish up off the bottom, if he fallows raisd him up around 3 feet the dead stick and wait for the hit. Gorskies is another good spot to go , go past the big boat on the left out to the lake just past the point look left, go straight across the lake almost to the other side, in about 7 ft of water, same time everytime. Use your second rod with just a small split shot and a single hook, hook the dace minnow in the tail area between the ass and the tail fin. The minnow has to stay alive. When you first get there add a cup of water from the lake every 15 to 20 minutes to your minnow pail so they get used to the colder water. I keep my minnows in a cooler it stops them from freezing and temp changes are minimum. Make sure your minnow is lively from 4:30 on.your minnow rod should be around half way down ie if your in 7 ft of water, put your minnow so that it is 3.5 ft down. Alot of people make the mistake of huggin the bottom on scugog there is alot of weeds and most bury the minnow in the weeds. What happens the eye's and crappie will travel from the deep to the shallow waters to feed at dusk. So they are crusing, dont drill any holes after 4 stay quiet and try to get away from other people. they will cruise in mid column. Have a couple extra rods baited and waiting in your minnow pail, the second you get one out drop in the new baited one don't dick around don't even take the fish off the hook, just get the next line in the water. The longest bite I have ever experienced is 25 min. Most are done in 15 minutes. I have limited out 2 people in that time. But you got to be luckey and be in their path. First ice is usually the best, and tapers off dramatically by the end of the month. good luck and post me when this works for you...it will

Spough, thank you very much for the tips. I'm going to try 'em out this weekend, and I shall let you know what happens.

So... I've been going to Scugog for the last 3 weekends, and have been skunked every time. Well, not entirely skunked... a handful of dinky perch... at least there was some sort of action for 20 minutes. Am I doing something wrong? Anyone got any tips to find bigger perch or any other species of fish? I'm not asking for your personal hot spots or anything.

I find using frozen pre-cooked shrimp are working great for me for the Jumbo's, I fish areas about 4 to 5 feet deep for the Jumbo's, and for the Wally's I'm out about 250 to 400 feet from shore (from 5 to 10 feet deep) looking for those weed lines (using a under water camera) Then I set up shop. The Ice on Scugog hasn't been the greatest this 2012 so be careful out on the ice, were sitting on about 9 inches right now Jan 18th 2012. Also for the Wally's We have been using a plain white 1/4oz ball jig tipped with a shiner, and also Wally rigs are working too. I find they start hitting around 5pm to 7pm then back on around 9pm to midnight.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

I've icefished Scugog for many years now and every year is different. About 5 or 6 years ago the bite was brutal, even folks like us who fish it alot and had things pretty dailed in were getting few and far between. Then the big Mother Nature flicked a switch and for a couple weeks it was insane. I imagine this year will be the same.

Just got to put in the time.

Edited by Harrison