So many little walleye...

mike rousseau

Had another good day on the ice as far as numbers of walleye go...

Got 32 walleye in about 5 hours of fishing...

Only problem is the biggest couple of fish were only 16 inches...

It was a really fun day because they bit all day... Not just at dark...

I'm wondering... Do any of you experience this?

I mean 32 fish on a body of water that has big walleye... And nothing over 16 inches...

Are the big ones close by...?

Or do they come in to these areas later during last ice...?

Mike

Oops...

Forgot pics

c8d33cbb.jpg

7d37f860.jpg

Edited by Musky Mike

I've found that before too, spots where I can catch plenty of small walleye, while never catching anything larger, I would say accept the smaller fish and get consistent action, or move to another spot you like where the numbers are lower but you get the odd biggie

at least you're getting action and fish

I've found that before too, spots where I can catch plenty of small walleye, while never catching anything larger, I would say accept the smaller fish and get consistent action, or move to another spot you like where the numbers are lower but you get the odd biggie

at least you're getting action and fish

Yeah... I've got spots with bigger walleye... But you only get 1-4 in a night... But they are almost all over 20 inches... And I got a 30 incher last winter...

But I find it amazing how they are totally segragated from each other...

I'm happy getting little ones all day tho... Those little buggers fight hard for their size...

Yeah... I've got spots with bigger walleye... But you only get 1-4 in a night... But they are almost all over 20 inches... And I got a 30 incher last winter...

But I find it amazing how they are totally segragated from each other...

I'm happy getting little ones all day tho... Those little buggers fight hard for their size...

I kinda disagree with that MM. Mind you I have no experience on your body of water, so it very well could be different.

The lakes I fish, we can consistently find bigger walleye on edges of the smaller ones. I think they do pair up size/age wise, but there on the edges of the smaller fish IMO. The numbers prove your on the right spot, but in my belief, those smaller fish are more active feeders. The big fish push the edges of the school expending little to no energy, then feed when they need to feed.

Thats just my opinion though, Might not hold any weight on your bodies of water

I kinda disagree with that MM. Mind you I have no experience on your body of water, so it very well could be different.

The lakes I fish, we can consistently find bigger walleye on edges of the smaller ones. I think they do pair up size/age wise, but there on the edges of the smaller fish IMO. The numbers prove your on the right spot, but in my belief, those smaller fish are more active feeders. The big fish push the edges of the school expending little to no energy, then feed when they need to feed.

Thats just my opinion though, Might not hold any weight on your bodies of water

Sounds right...

I like the idea of heading shallower to find big active fish... Might be the ticket... That's where I get my big girls during soft water

I seem to agree with MM and not so much with Manitou, some spots I've found, and are notorious for this, just hold schools of small walleyes (we call them key-chains), it's fun getting the consistent action, but for all the time we've spent there, there hasn't been a larger fish to be found, fish shallow, fish the deepest channel, it doesn't seem to matter, if you find them it's fast action but all small guys

I seem to agree with MM and not so much with Manitou, some spots I've found, and are notorious for this, just hold schools of small walleyes (we call them key-chains), it's fun getting the consistent action, but for all the time we've spent there, there hasn't been a larger fish to be found, fish shallow, fish the deepest channel, it doesn't seem to matter, if you find them it's fast action but all small guys

That happens. Like I said, just depends on the body of water. Our lakes/rivers I'm sure differ from southern ontario. I've never fished down that way, so I'm not pretending to be in the know.

The beauty of fishing, figuring it all out!

I've had some old timers tell me that the biggest walleye were caught late in the season... But walleye closes march 1 Now...

So the season is closing before the females are staging to spawn...

I've seen this with other species where the horny little males rush in and the big females mosey on in last ice...

MM, on NW bay, me and one other guy have had luck slow jigging 1oz. spinnerbaits (silver, white black color)

. I took off the willowleafs and added to of the Northland baitfish colorados, then added a small Matzou 3" swim bait. I used a orange/yellowish glow in th dark model, my buddy used black and red fleck glow in the dark.

We did real good, fished for 5 hours and had 8 fish all around the 27" mark, giver er take. We marked tons of fish on the spot too, just like summer, but nothing small was taking the bait. It was a real light jig, lift a few inches, let it flutter down slowly, constantly trying to keep the bait a few inches from bottom. All fish were caught in 8 FOW, on the shallow side of a reef that drops to 22 FOW.

Not saying it'll work where you are, but I sure had fun doing it. Giver a try...

Edited by manitoubass2