Looking for a hard use Steelhead Spinning reel

archie_james_c

Looking to pick up a hardcore, workhorse Steely spinning reel. Needs to be waterproof and have a 100% waterproof drag system. I run Daiwa Tierras which have fairly waterproof drags, but even then they begin slipping/chattering/etc after a few hours in the wet stuff. Also their gear trains are susceptable to the sandy rivers I fish, I've cooked 2 Tierras gear trains last season...

Anyone have any ideas? 'Pinners need not preach.

Ive been using a US Reel 230SX and 240SX with success. However I've had to upgrade the drag washers on both as I found them lacking. Beyond that decent reel for the price. You can find them pretty cheap if you look around on the net. The larger wider spool of these reels really aids with casting distance imo.

A similar alternative and a much more common reel is the Pflueger Arbor. It may be worth a shot.

I recently aquired a couple of Pflueger Supreme XT's and have been amazed at the quality. Drag seems very smooth.

I'm most likely going to try a larger size, probably a 35 or 40 for steelhead fishing.

The Pflueger Patriarch in the 40 size is also interesting. Ebay currently has some smoking deals on these reels.

Looking for something on the upper end, 150-200$. I'm not talking a reel you got rained on for an hour and it kept working. I'm talking a reel that can be dropped on a sandy bank, submerged in chest-high crossings, hold up to being slammed on rocks and ice and take it all in stride. I hear the Stradic's have that in spades, my Tierras are nipping at its heals but the gear train is the big problem, its vented and very susceptible to silt and sand in that stupid gear box. The drag is quite water proof but after a dozen or so submerses in the wet stuff it starts to chatter, and thats no good when you're slumming 6 pound leaders in fast chutes...

I'm talking a reel that can be dropped on a sandy bank, submerged in chest-high crossings, hold up to being slammed on rocks and ice and take it all in stride.

I think you're dreaming in Technicolor. No reel should be treated that way. And I like my Stradics but they're not made for that at all.

I have never seen or heard of a 100% waterproof spinning reel....if you know of one, buy it....thought you just wanted a rugged, time tested, proven, reliable spinning reel....that would be a Daiwa BG series....I have 2 (BG-10 BG-13) that have lasted over 25 years now and they are still catching fish. Not many reels last that long or are even still available to purchase these days...most are here today and gone in 3 years or less.

http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/2038/daiwa-daiwa-black-gold-series-spinning-reels-reviews/reviews.htm

http://www.tackledirect.com/bg10.html

I think you're dreaming in Technicolor. No reel should be treated that way. And I like my Stradics but they're not made for that at all.

Im well aware of what they were made for. I just know guys who run their gear hard, some of it works, some of it don't. I need to find the former ;)

I have Team Daiwas up to the Advantage-A and they are very tough...but not impervious. I know impervious exsists. I just need to source it out :Gonefishing:

I have never seen or heard of a 100% waterproof spinning reel....if you know of one, buy it....thought you just wanted a rugged, time tested, proven, reliable spinning reel....that would be a Daiwa BG series....I have 2 (BG-10 BG-13) that have lasted over 25 years now and they are still catching fish. Not many reels last that long or are even still available to purchase these days...most are here today and gone in 3 years or less.

http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/2038/daiwa-daiwa-black-gold-series-spinning-reels-reviews/reviews.htm

http://www.tackledirect.com/bg10.html

As said, I have reels/rods that will last a lifetime of normal use, and I use them normally. A Steelhead spinning reel, in these parts does not get used normally :D

I may be stuck gasketing my Tierras myself, and seeing if they hold up.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

this spring i switched to a stradic ci4. definitely the finest piece i've ever owned although i dont know about durability beyond a seasons use. held up to some pretty intnse portage trips this spring though. now i'm trying to find another one used because my pflueger stuff just doesn't feel as nice anymore.