Hunting Bells For Dogs

4x4bassin

I am trying to find a hunting bell (small cow bell) for my springer but I can't seem to find one anywhere . I have seen them on the web

but was hoping for a store in the area.

I have tried bear bells on her but they get snow in them and you can't hear them and if there is no snow once she is 30 feet away in the

bush you can't hear her anymore.

Thanks

I don't use Bells, but some guys do (that I run with). I'm going out tomorrow, I'll let you know where they get them from, we run beagles. Most of the "dog stuff" I use is not found around here and I get it out of US, over the internet.

Things have changed since my last order, but if you scroll down to page 14 of this website http://www.houndhunter.com/2011_Catalog_1.pdf you should find bells.

Ive considered using my Tip-up bells.`

Hope the link works for ya.

For pointers the electronic beepers are great while hunting heavy cover....the slow constant beep tells you where the dog is and once on point the beep get faster and faster telling you she's on point.

For beagles, they have a built in beep....errrrrr howl....LOL

Dollar store near me sells these elastic stretch Christmas dog collars with little jingle bells all over them.

I bought a bunch last month.

They're supposed to be a novelty item, but you know what? They work great keeping track of my dog in the bush.

I have a one year german shorthair and she wears one every time we head out.

As a fairly novice/new hunter...whats the deal with the bells?

I assume its to keep track of where the dogs have gone, but like mentioned aren't they suppose to be howling when on a trail?

I spent last year training my Beagle to run no more then 150 yards out and return on call.

Towards the end of the season I was doing some limited tracking and he had no issue with howling...especially when he was on rabbits, and oddly/dissapointingly on other dogs & Wood peckers in particular LOL!!!!

This year I'm going 110% on deer tracking(need to secure a pelt, or peice of one first)

Anyway...I'm rambling,

My point is I've not heard of using bells?

Am correct in assumeing its just for knowing where they are in the bush?

As a fairly novice/new hunter...whats the deal with the bells?

I assume its to keep track of where the dogs have gone, but like mentioned aren't they suppose to be howling when on a trail?

I spent last year training my Beagle to run no more then 150 yards out and return on call.

Towards the end of the season I was doing some limited tracking and he had no issue with howling...especially when he was on rabbits, and oddly/dissapointingly on other dogs & Wood peckers in particular LOL!!!!

This year I'm going 110% on deer tracking(need to secure a pelt, or peice of one first)

Anyway...I'm rambling,

My point is I've not heard of using bells?

Am correct in assumeing its just for knowing where they are in the bush?

Bird dogs don't howl. That would scare away the birds. :)

Yes deafness is a concern over time, be especially careful with electronic beepers and there settings. Yes the bell helps you keep tabs on the dog, in my pointers case when the bell stops ringing he may be pointing a bird. Some say bells spook upland game causing game to flush well out of gunshot range, definitely true on some days, BUT I also believe that in some cases they pin the bird in place by confusing it. Electronic beepers even have a hawk screech setting and that definitely keeps birds pinned on the ground.

Better start working out. Deer run a long way, fast. Hahaha!

If you have a Beagle that won't run Deer, shoot me a PM.

Had five dogs on the ground today and they ran a rabbit for 1.5 hours, until we picked up the dogs and gave the bunny a break. This noisey chase (saw rabbit several times) only covered about 25 acres. Back and forth, around and around.

If you can get where there is snow and set your dog on some fresh deer tracks, you'll see if it is willing.

My beagle runs mostly with its nose on the ground (chasing rabbits), when it gets a good deer scent, it's head comes up and starts running flat out. Deer are stinky I guess.

To make sure I get home with the dog, 'cause I'm not chasin' a deer anymore, I got an "E" Collar.

She finally comes running looking for me and sits at my feet, if she starts running a deer.

Now, if you hunt deer and are trying to find one you shot, go ahead and get the dog to track deer.

If you don't hunt deer, I would strongy dissuade trying to get it to run on deer.

There are also alot of regulations when a beagle (hunting dog) is running loose chasing game (permits required).

Especially out of season, in season with license to hunt species, no problem.

Edited by nofish4me

I hunt deer...just not successfully lately LOL!

My Beagle is a natual Rabbit machine...which is awesome for 80% of my hunting.

But I'd like to se if he can a run deer.

My Grandfather trained his with a pelt...track the pelt...get a treat...when he finds the pelt, take it further etc...old school I I Spent the better half of last year getting him to run rabbit and return via whistle, and a E collar was my back up.

He responded to the training 110%...I was pleasantly surprised at how well it went.

So I've encouraged his rabbit tracking, and its going very well.

Now I just need to get a dam Deer pelt(not easy) to try and see if he'll pick up on it as well.

to be truthfull...when he goes on a track he's ALL over it!!!

The issue is 9x outta 10 it turns out to be a rabbit, or another dog he's tracking.

He gets supper hyped up and runs like hell howling like a mad man on occasion...sometimes we find he's runnning a rabbit...other times it could be a deer, but I'm yet to "see" anything ran by him.

Could be on deer, could be nothing....tough to say sometime there are tracks in his path, other time not.

I'd feel better with some solid pelt training.

Now I just need to get a dam Deer pelt(not easy) to try and see if he'll pick up on it as well.

I do what I do, because I love to be in the bush and hear the dogs, plus they make great couch potatoes.

I don't hunt deer so I don't understand why someone would want a dog to do so, unless to track an injured animal.

If that's the case, I can see why and how, but to just move the deer, I don't get it.

The reason being, dogs cover ground real quick, and I figure the damned deer would be out of range by the time you could take it down.

Just askin'.

I've been told Deer more often then not(especially when not in the rut) will sit and not move.

If you don't get out there and move them....you won't find them.

Our situation is we're only 4-5 guys with well over 500 acres available land to hunt....thats ALOT of guess work.

We place guys in stands and drive to them hoping to kick somthing up, other times we just sit tight.

When we're driving we try to narrow our runs, but many times when we do actually kick something up, it goes around us LOL...

Its a pretty thick area, but lots of good natural bottle necks(via ponds and ridges)

AKA a perfect area to run dogs...

Dogs are just an added member of the party to push or drive so to speak.

And if he's well trained, it takes a bit of the guess work out.