How to set up a hub ice shelter

CRAPPIE

What is the proper way to set up the Hub type ice shelter?

Will they tangle up if you set up improperly? Someone told me they broke the pole when they set it up.

roof first.... roof last.... mind the wind hope this helps

Thanks in advance

The last time I set one up was the last. And that was indoors in a gym, I could not imagine doing it on the ice in the cold and wind. Take it back.

Or, was that a portable ice fishing tent? .... Ya I think it was, hope your hub style ground blind kind is better than that tent crap thing I tried a few years ago after my wife got it for me for xmas. .... ok, I'd better log off before she reads this.

Good Luck!

Entropy

What I have found works best:

Anchor the two corners on the windward side first, pop the top, pop all four sides, anchor the other two corners. Pre-drill the holes for the anchors with a cordless drill with a long 1/4" bit.

What I have found works best:

Anchor the two corners on the windward side first, pop the top, pop all four sides, anchor the other two corners. Pre-drill the holes for the anchors with a cordless drill with a long 1/4" bit.

I do the same thing except for pre-drilling the holes. A good jab into the ice and the anchors start to grab the ice right away.

Well I came up with another thing. All of my equipment has a carabiner clip on. So after I get the top up and one

of the sides, I hook up

my side strap to propane tank, backpack and so on. It's a click click quick quick. ;)

Huh? :dunno: :dunno: :unsure:

Step by step instructions:

1)Buy one of these cool thingies.... http://www.basspro.com/HT-Enterprises-Ice-Anchor-Power-Drill-Installation-Tool/product/10228949/60921 (while you are at it convert your manual auger to 18v cordless too!)

2)Screw down a corner, open the zippered door, walk in and erect it from the inside out by pushing on opposing hubs.

Done! Super easy. I also shovel some slush from the holes I drill onto the flaps to seal it up tight and keep the draft out if I know I am going to be parked on a spot for a while.

Note: I have a 6'6" arm span so if you are are eligible for your own show on TLC, this technique may not work for you. :whistling:

All I'm saying is that I'm using my propane tank to anchor my hut down and set it up. ( in case you have been walking for 10 min and showeling snow for another 5). So my hut goes up quick without drilling and screwing it down first. Clear?

Like a number of people have mentioned, its pretty basic, top first then sides.

In windy conditions, which is pretty much always on Lake Winnipeg, I set up the shelter with a non door side into the wind. Put the anchors in the 2 windward corners as well and another another tied to the center of the windward side. This can be adjusted later to hold it tight, but helps keep the shack from caving 1 side in after you've opened it in the wind. When properly staked out, they will stand up well in high winds.

We also try to set up a sled/quad or truck on the upwind side. This blocks the wind and gives a ready point to tie to instead of putting an anchor in, which can be a challenge in some ice conditions. The other day there was no snow on the ice at all and high winds, I put the truck tire over a corner of the skirt to hold it in place.

There are a few videos here as well: