First Lake trout report of the year.

limeyangler

Hi all.

Got out to a local lake with a friend today to try for Lakers. This lake can provide some of the best fishing for Lake Trout and trophy walleye (walleye fishing definitely better on the softwater) in our area...however today was not a fast and furious day...still fun, but slow.

The wind was not slow though, in fact I don’t think I have ever been out on the ice with wind like that before.....must have been gusting to at least 60kmh! We dared not stand up as the shelter was trying to 'take off'.

BY THE END OF THE SESSION I HAD QUITE THE SNOW DRIFT AROUND MY SLED

IMG_5833.jpg

Got supper...one fish and put back 2 smaller ones for another day.....rattling' lipless cranks did the damage today for trout and ling. Kind of cool to catch ling on that lure...never done that before.

LING ON LIPLESS CRANKS??......GO FIGURE!

IMG_5828.jpg

IMG_5827.jpg

I also got to watch a big...BIG trout circling my crank bait at 5' under the ice through the hole....it was really exciting to watch...but alas it did not take the bait.

Another bitter sweet moment was right at the end when Garnet lost a walleye that might have touched 30"!!!! Really cool ...it was suspended at 20 feet over 60 feet of water and Garnet reeled up from the bottom to meet it....the fish absolutely nailed it....we thought it was a trout until Garnet saw it, then darned thing caught the ice at the hole and got off!!!!!DOH!

We would have moved around a bit but weather conditions made it almost impossible to do so.

HERE'S THE VIDEO FROM TODAY....SORRY ABOUT THE 'TALKY' BIT, I PROMISED MY 2 YEAR OLD I'D SHOW HIM THE 'PUCK' WORKING

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M5iHubYDXN4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's brutal winds Simon... WOW :w00t: You weren't kidding when you said that you "ever been out on the ice with wind like that before" Insane :blink:

Too bad about Garnet's last fish :o Sounds like it was a big one B)

That little kismo puck is cool... that would work great for me over here ;) would cut down on the maintenance in freezing temps :whistling::lol:

Thanks for sharing

Jacques

P.s. Is there a reason you called your first laker of 2011 at the beginning of the vid :whistling: I know what you meant... just thought I'd mention it :whistling::lol:

Another great Limey video!

Love the puck.

Sooner or later Jack is going to realize that the puck is not in any more of the video.

Then you will pay the price. :tease:

He's definitely not easily fooled.

P.s. Is there a reason you called your first laker of 2011 at the beginning of the vid :whistling: I know what you meant... just thought I'd mention it :whistling::lol:

OOOOOOPS :thumbsup_anim:

Very very nice sir! I've had to settle for shallow water stuff on thin ice.....but sooooon the trout will get a visit :D And I really need to find my rattlin' rap in that colour! I remember it from last year, and it ended up working well for me too

Awesome report as usual Simon. We had that wind the last few days as well. And from what I see it isn't supposed to let up all week. I'll be in Dryden around 9 am, so I hope it warms up a bit at least. And happy new year Bud!!

That's brutal winds Simon... WOW You weren't kidding when you said that you "ever been out on the ice with wind like that before" Insane

Limey et. al: Great jigging video, but you guys don't know wind! :P Check out this video I made last February on Lake Champlain (in Vermont), ice fishing lakers.

By the way, I'm all over that Rattlin' Rap this winter (if we get any ice). Nice tip! Maybe it will make those pesky lakers in my video finally committ to hitting!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K44KPBNuQ4

Edited by vtbass