Is s 75yards of PP enough for casting?

glen

I am putting Power Pro on a bass spinning reel. I had 6lb mono on it before. I would like more casting distance so i thought i would try 10lb PP (2lb mono dia.).

Will the PP cast farther?

Should i use stronger PP?

Is 75yards of PP enough?

How far will it cast?

Thankyou. :thumbsup_anim:

Isnt 100 yds. the smallest spool you can get? Why not use it all? I dont think you'll have to worry too much about casting it out too far, could you cast the length of a football field?, besides, why would you?, you should have mono backing on behind it anyway. Hope this helps.

I'm not sure if casting distance would be much different, hard to say. I use 20lbs pp with floro leader on all my Walleye and bass rods and 30lbs for pike and I haven't lost a fish to break offs since I switched to PP, also I like how you can detect your line moving when a fish is just lipping it.

75 yards will be enough PP, but fill the entire spool either way with a mono backing.

I find 10lbs a little hard to tie reliable knots, 15 or 20lbs will be easier to tie and not to much thicker.

Edited by GbayGiant

75 yards is plenty. I use each 150 yards spool to do 2 reels. I fill halfway with my backing, which would be any equivalent diameter mono, then top it up with 75 yards of braid. Casts plenty far, never get spooled, and I get double the use out of one spool. I suspect my FARTHEST casts to be 40 yards? I dunno, I'm just guessing.

Think you should up the lb test too. 20lb or 30lb should be good enough for ya, maybe 20lb PP since its 6lb mono equivalent. I personally have had trouble casting PP with a spinning reel, wind knots....thats why I'm trying Spiderwire Stealth. But split the spool, I doubt you'll come close to casting 225'.

I don't see the reason to wager the price of a couple of beers to see if my knot will hold on a fish that has taken me down to the backing. I fill the spool with pp, and then maybe switch ends after a coupla years. This works out to be the same cost as using filler, with no knots and good stuff right down to the tape covered spool.

If you want to match your 20 lb pp to an equiv diameter mono, that means that you will be filling your spool with 5 or 6 lb test. Is that really the situation you want?

I understand that if you are jigging walleye, or casting for bass, you might typically use less line, but for the downrigging, trolling, flatlining suff I do, there is no backing on my reels.

I understand that if you are jigging walleye, or casting for bass, you might typically use less line, but for the downrigging, trolling, flatlining suff I do, there is no backing on my reels.

I agree with doug all the way. Jigging and casting for bass or walleye are different. On my on one reel I cast for salmon, I don't use backing at all. If I downrigged for anything, no backing at all either, just tape it. Flatlining, I would still use a backing, unless its for salmon or trout. But then again, I've almost seen a 15lb sheephead almost spool somebody. Use discretion for your type of fishing at hand.