5inches of "safe" ice!!!

Freshtrax

GOTCHA!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahahah

Ok im going madd! My buddy just called me and wants to head to owensound/tobermory with the boat over christmas break and im trying to talk him into an icefishing trip. Im looking for somewhere that will have 6 inches by boxing day i will be joining him on the 29th. His wifes/and mine requirements ar 2br cabin with a fireplace. Our reqirements are water we can walk on nearby even if its small spec lakes how far do we havto go. Those of you ice fishing already and those who will have 6inches 12days from now how far north are ya?

Edited by Freshtrax

It's certainly not gonna be around here (Kawarthas). Whatever little bit of shoreline ice we had building since the weekend just got wiped out overnight with the rain and warm wind.

It's not looking good for the next while either:

Peterborough 14 day forecast

Edited by Jer

There MAY be safe ice (4") on some small lakes by the 26th around North Bay.......but I doubt it.

My guess for 6" of safe ice is MINIMALLY North of Temagami. 3 hours North of North Bay has plenty of ice.

Kenogami Lake

Here is the December 9th picture with the 1st hut out in the narrows. That was 6" then. May be 12-15" by now.

ice-1.jpg

Edited by Nipfisher

Just booked with an outfitter opimika hunt and wilderness camps. Says there already icing specks splake and rainbows. Got a good deal private cabin 650 for the week 26th to the seccond he says there is ice on all the lakes as of thisafernoon some fishable some not. With a week of sub zero temps he is confident we will be slammin the splake And specks. Anyome ever bin there?

Just googled it. It is within the old "Diver" park. Off McConnell Lake Rd. Tons of lakes back there. I have fished 2 or 3 of them years ago and was skunked each time. From what I have heard there is alot of bait fish in those lakes making the bite difficult.

I just spoke to a buddy that was there last winter. Perch only for them. Cabins are top notch, owners are great. He said it took them an hour to get in and 40 min. to get out. A lot longer then the 25 min. on the website.

Edited by Nipfisher

That was going to be my suggestion trax. a bunch of good lakes up there with good fishin. i have done quite well for all 4 trout species stocked in those lakes. there are also a few wallie lakes close by. ice should not be an issue up there by boxing day.

I am fine with extended soft-water opportunities. Be careful what you wish for... Winter is loooong once it sets in!

Lol....I'm well aware of what I'm wishing for....here's a few Splake I worked my tail off to get today North East of the Sault. 5 solid inches of ice and more to come. Specks in two weeks...anyone else ready?

IMG_20111218_144459.jpg

IMG_20111218_144643.jpg

IMG_20111218_144514.jpg

Lol....I'm well aware of what I'm wishing for....here's a few Splake I worked my tail off to get today North East of the Sault. 5 solid inches of ice and more to come. Specks in two weeks...anyone else ready?

Pope I reckognize that lake I think *grin*. I too have been splake fishing for the last 2.5 weeks. 4" of ice 2 weeks ago, 5+ now. Heading out right now for the evening.

J.. what the heck are you doing in wadge? How many homes did you buy.. lol

Threw the towel in and moved north out of the rat race, bought a house for $50,000 completely renovated within the last 5 years!!! With a 2003 Polaris 500 sportmans in the deal and new 11HP snowblower.

Only MAJOR problem is that our moving company rolled the truck and were charged by the OPP, lost 50% of our belongings....my 33lb Swift Carbon/Kevlar canoe is destroyed. Insurance will cover our belongings!!!! Can you say BOXING DAY SHOPPING.

Jason

Threw the towel in and moved north out of the rat race, bought a house for $50,000 completely renovated within the last 5 years!!! With a 2003 Polaris 500 sportmans in the deal and new 11HP snowblower.

Only MAJOR problem is that our moving company rolled the truck and were charged by the OPP, lost 50% of our belongings....my 33lb Swift Carbon/Kevlar canoe is destroyed. Insurance will cover our belongings!!!! Can you say BOXING DAY SHOPPING.

Jason

I'd Give both nuts to be sittin on that much ice right now.. Damn!!