OOS Muskies being kept!

chilli

I've never caught a musky. Imagine that, I Live in Fort Erie and not a one. This summer will change ;)

I've got $132 so far. I'll call Denis near closing Tuesday and get the tally but Nicholls is first.

We definately have enough for the Niagara Parks as well. Does anyone know exactly where the old sign was? I couldn't even locate the rod like the one at Frenchmans. Hope no one is stealing them :(

That white one at Nicholls was beautifull the year before last. Amazing how fast it faded. Good thing the new ones have a U.V. protection.

Dan

HI all,

I couldn't help but notice this thread. This is very important stuff. For those of us who are very avid anglers, we likely never consider folks just not knowing what species they are dealing with. With a critter as long density as muskie, this becomes increasingly important.

As fishing pressure on all species increases, issues like this and proper handling of fish become increasingly important for all species.

Pete

Well I met up with a Muskies Canada member today at the St Catharines Game and Fish and presented him with a cheque for $157 for the signs. Dax Jacklin will probably pick up a sign over the next couple of days and replace the one at Nicholls marine.

Thank you to all who donated. I don't like to thank myself but here's the list of guys who put in for this important conservation project. Thank you for your generousity and I hope you inspire others to follow suit when they see something like this needs doing.

Charlie “D” – Fishin Niagara Forum

Chris Gill – Fishin Niagara Forum

Denis Kreze – Fishin Niagara Tackle

Darryl Cronzy – Going Fishing Show

Dan Andrews – Fort Erie Conservation Club Trustee.

chilli B)

Thanks Dan and company for stepping up and helping out! The Muskie fishery in the Upper Niagara river used to be world class, now its anything but. Due to Cormorant predation, Round gobies, Zebra Mussels, and now VHS the Muskie population has taken a real beating. It certainly doesn't need to be further stressed by poaching! We could all learn a lesson from Dan about getting involved and giving something back!!!

Edited by Pigeontroller

Just my opinion but here's a thought... Why do hunters have to write a test where part of the test is to be able to distinguish the different types of ducks yet anglers don't in order to do the same with fish. It's not just a Musky/Pike issue. I'm sure there are many of us out there who couldn't tell the difference between a Laker and a Speckle, a Largemouth and a Smallie or a big Steelhead and a Chinook. In my opinion WAY TOO MANY fish are being killed out of season because there are too many people out there that only know how to drop a line and eat whatever comes up. I know :blahblah1::blahblah1::blahblah1: but it just gets on my nerves when some people just shrug it off as "It's only 1 fish...It won't hurt"

Edited by MuskySean