Spinning rod recommendations

gordy28

Hey there

Currently I have a 6'9 medium light spinning rod that I use for finesse fishing and I have an old 7 foot rod that I use for casting small crankbaits, harnesses w bottom bouncers and jerk baits

I'm looking to upgrade the 7 footer but I am wondering if I should be going to a shorter set up?

Ideally I only want 4 rods-2 baitcasters (7 foot crankbait rod, 6 6 for spinner baits and top water), finesse spinning rod and the aforementioned spinning rod

Thanks

Gordy

I wouldn't go any shorter, 7' in a medium action is a very versatile spinning rod. You can throw lotsa different baits with that.

What particular rod you buy, really depends on what kinda coin you wanna spend, what brand you prefer. Can't go wrong with a Compre in my opinion.

I would go with a 6'8 or 6'10 Med X-Fast or Med Hvy Fast action rod. Something for senko's tube jigs and maybe a topwater on those mornings. 15lb braid and tie a leader on during those clear water trips and your all set.

The new Compre and Crucials spinning rods are light and made with lightweight material. They match nicely with any reel.

Edited by MikeTheBassFisher

Bunch of brand new but last years model Crucial spin rods on the buy and sell section. They are not mine and I do not know the seller but he's a fixture here so if you like that brand it could be a good option. I think they are good rods overall. Myself I like to use a 6'6" spin rod in the med/hvy to throw hard jerkbaits. I use one called a Daiwa Ciello that I got off the buy and sell here and its a really nice rod. Rod selection really comes down to the techniques and species you are seeking.

This is a tough call because it really comes down to personal preference.

I personally like the shorter 6'6 M or MH for throwing jerkbaits and cranks. After years of chasing big smallies on Simcoe with jerkbaits I found I could control and feel the bait better with the shorter rod.