A Little Night Time Steel

ccmtcanada

I came home from work today and there is a bag on the table from the local fishing store. Bly tells me that she picked up a Daiwa Samurai-7i for 50% off at a clearance sale! Since the weather was going to turn crappy tonite and into tomorrow, then the tribs would likely be blown, we decided to brave the elements and do a little night fishing. After all, she had to try her new reel.

We got to our spot and began our drifts. Some light wet snow was falling and the wind really picked up...making drifting very difficult, but we decided to stay a bit. About a 1/2 hour into drifting, she says "FISH ON"!!!!

I grab the net...I'm starting to get used to being her net boy...lol. This fish was a scrappy fighter! It ran every direction, but her new reel worked great! The thing ran to the opposite bank and almost beached itself there. After a good 5 minutes, she brought it close enough for me to net. She landed this beauty 29.5" Steelhead.

gallery_60_23_1790.jpg

The release.....

gallery_60_23_21849.jpg

Shortly after that, the rains really CAME down. The wind was crazy and we decided to pack up and leave.

Since we are newbies at this...we weren't 100% sure this was a Steelhead. It didn't quite look like the other ones we've caught. After looking at tons of pictures of Steelheads, Coho Salmon, Atlantic Salmon and Browns, we decided it was a Steelhead....LOL. Please chime in if you have a different opinion.

We are definitely hooked on this trib fishing...hopefully more reports in the near future!!

PS...Gagnon's Sports in Oshawa is having their clearance sale starting tomorrow!! Go check it out...it's where she got her new reel.....

Edited by ccmtcanada

Bly, Bly, Bly, you are really showing Cliff up aren't you :worthy:

You go Girl!!! You're on fire.

Sweet Fish :clapping:

Joey

Yep...she has the biggest Walleye by half a pound and now the biggest Steelhead by 2.5 inches....my only comeback is at least I've caught 2 30+ inch Pike to her zero...LOL.

I was re-tying my setup after a snag when she hooked that fish...just my luck!!! :lol:

Edited by ccmtcanada

Nice! I always wanted to try a drift at night... Seems like a blast... I've heard it can be good when it warms up a bit. Either that or it's just more tolerable :)

I really enjoy the night fishing and I get to fish spots that are normally very busy.

bly

Bly, Bly, Bly, you are really showing Cliff up aren't you :worthy:

You go Girl!!! You're on fire.

Sweet Fish :clapping:

Joey

:lol: Joey........I don't try to do it, just get lucky I guess :blush:

bly

You guys just don't keep up.....nice fish!!! I sure was nasty out there last night. Hey Cliff.....you must be getting pretty good with that net by now....hehehe ;) ....oh by the way I haven't forgot about opener.

Jason

Yes Jason...I'm getting pretty darned good with that net!! LOL. I haven't forgotten either...saved your PM...haha. If you want to get together before then, just let me know.

Cliff

nice fish bly! really can't wait till the end of the week so i can get out there ...

i've also bought a samurai-7i ... not as smooth as i thot it would be with the 7BB ... well more isn't necessery better but for that price it's a pretty decent reel.

Thanks for the report :)

nice fish bly! really can't wait till the end of the week so i can get out there ...

i've also bought a samurai-7i ... not as smooth as i thot it would be with the 7BB ... well more isn't necessery better but for that price it's a pretty decent reel.

Thanks for the report :)

I have only used a few different reels (4 to be exact lol) and I was very pleasantly surprised with the feel of the Diawa for what I paid for it. My casting was much smoother with more control and the better drag was much appreciated last night. After the Easter trip, was glad not to see any loops and slack in my line. Again....new at this but I think I can see why Diawa is well liked

Good luck this weekend!!!

bly

Well, we know who wears the waders in the family.

Hey Cliff,

How 'bout a spa day?

We could get our nails done.

I'll have to see if she lets me...if she's fishing, then I'll be manning the net....

I could use a good manicure though...I'll call you.