NF Turtle Beach head set

John Bacon

My son is asking for a Turtle Beach head set for Christmas. He will use it for a PS3 and a Notebook as well.

I may have an opportunity to pick of a Turtle Beach PX3 headset in the US for $150. Is this a good deal? I searched but cannot seem to find source for this model in Canada. Is the a different model for Canada?

Does anybody know what I would expect to pay for a similar model in Canada and where I can find a good selection of Turtle Beach headsets?

I have the X11's for Xbox360 and they are fantastic! Turtle Beach is a solid product, just a matter of finding the right price. You can check ebay, but looks like they are around $138 us + shipping. Likely released in the US only. Good luck.

Awesome headphones. I had a pair but got rid of em because i prefer the surround sound lol

A friend of mine had problems with his, he brought them back and they exchanged him a new pair, his sound was all muffled when he bought the first pair.

Edited by danbob

Turtle beach head sets are great for gaming, it'll definitely increase the gaming experience. When purchasing headphones for gaming, its important to have surround sounds, as it'll give you better directional awareness of your enemy in FPS games.

I use the Tritton AX Pro, it is also an excellent brand and product. My next purchase will be a wireless headphone made by Astro.

http://www.astrogaming.com/

I use the Turtle Beach DPX21 with my PS3. It's a bundle that comes with the EarForce DSS, which takes an optical audio input and converts Dolby 5.1 to virtual surround on any stereo headphones (I obviously use it with the headset included in the bundle). The effect is more noticeable in certain games. I don't have a set of Trittons to compare, but the choice to go with Turtle Beach was made for a few reasons - 1) EarForce DSS works with other headsets, 2) doesn't require a power supply (powered by USB). A friend of mine has Trittons and loves them.

I've heard great things about the Astro gear, and I'd love to at least try a MixAmp some day, and see how it compares and if it would work with my Turtle Beach headset.

My headset also works with Linux (computer operating system), which was important to me, as I wanted it for more than just gaming.

BTW, FutureShop lists the headset you are after: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/turtle-beach-turtle-beach-px3-ear-force-headset-playstation-3-8085238/10177762.aspx A quick look at it seems to indicate it doesn't include surround support. If you really want it, you can add the EarForce DSS (sold separately) as indicated here: http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/ps3-gaming-headsets/ear-force-px3.aspx

Edited by Dana

I've got Turtle beach PX21's which are a bit older and therefore cheaper ( about $80 I think). For the price they are very good. I have never used real fancy surround sound ones so I cant really compare but the PX21's do the job for me.good.gif

I guess I didn't say that part, but that's the headset I have, that came in the bundle I bought. (If you ever want the surround, you can just buy an EarForce DSS. The effect is generally mild, but sometimes I can really tell.)

Dana... what flavour of Linux are you running

I've run many of them over the years, from my early days getting my feet wet with WinLinux and Mandrake, to Debian, then Ubuntu (I actually started Ubuntu Studio, but it was originally a wiki with tutorials and stuff, and then I started packaging music software for the distro, and then someone took over from there and made it into its own spinoff distro). Then, once Ubuntu's head got too big, I jumped to Linux Mint Debian Edition. I've tested countless other distros, but that was my main path to where I am at now.

I'm mostly happy with LMDE. It's maybe not the best for a newbie, but it's got a bit of polish that is lacking from Debian. I run it on my work PC, my living room PC that is mostly used by my tech-illiterate wife, and my server in the basement that streams my media to my PS3s.

tldr; LMDE.

I bought the top-of-line turtle beach headset, but I had to return it due to bad sound quality. I'm no audiophile, but I just didn't feel the sound quality was there. I ordered a set of Astro A40s before returning the turtle beach set, just to see the difference. My setup is a Xbox 360 connected via optical cable to a pioneer elite receiver, so the source is pretty solid. In CoD I could hear even the faintest footsteps in my vacinity. The Astro's sounded better than my Reference Series speakers! The TBs went back and the rest is history. Plus the wife doesn't think there is a war going on in our living room at 1am anymore.

Edited by bdox