Center Pin I Want One

jordan

Iam thinking of getting a center pin for float fishing can anyone suggest any good makes and how they liked it and any dislikes about it i have a spinning reel right now but u just can get as good of a drift with them so any hope u can help me out.

thanks jordan

I got a Islander Steelheader as my first pin about a month or so ago, I cant say enough god things about it. The spin is amazing and depeding on how much you want to spend it can be had for under 200$ used.

It is pretty much the standard for the great lakes. Their customer service is amazing, as the other day i cracked a rose wood reel thing, and they shipped me two new ones free of charge even though its not under warranty.

Now if you have too much money laying around you can go higher such as the Angling Specialties Pins and the Islander Pacific Steelheader, but IMO its not necssary, more for showing off on the river :D .

Although dont expect to catch more fish with the Pin, nor land more fish (for the beginning) as it takes some getting used too.

Also casting is a pain untill youve got it right

All in all once you get used to it, you will never go back :)

Edited by FishFinder

Check out the Okuma Aventa, it is a fine reel for the money.

Cabelas has them on sale right now for $139.99 U.S.

Don't let people tell you that you need a high-priced reel, unless money is no object for you, they all do the same thing. Sure some of them might 'start-up' quicker, but for the extra 2 or 300 dollars more I can finger the spool to get it started in those real slow drifts.

I personally use an Okuma, and have caught as much or more fish than guys with the high-priced reels.

Don't forget a long rod, 13 feet is a good length that will work well in most Southern Ontario tributaries.

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyb

I bought an Okuma Sheffield....only cause it looks flashy....well thought that when I bought it.....and I am super happy with it. At first it can be a pain....lost tons of fish when I first got it but the hook-up percentage can be way more than with a spinning reel....once you get the hang of it you can truly get tons of fish with it. I payed $300 with line and backing for mine and have put that thing thru heck and back and it still keeps on going!

• 3 weeks later...

My first pin is an Okuma Adventa...really good value for the dollar. But if you are willing to spend that

much get the islander....and MAKE SURE you budget for a reallllllllllly good rod! Learning to cast is a

challenge and I swear the rod has a lot to do with it.

There are also alot of good used deals out there.

I personally would get a good used combo....Most of the combos are in near mint condition because

pinners tend to take care of their gear!