Ice fishing prep

northernpike56

Hey all as the days have been getting colder and colder I have been thinking more and more about ice fishing. I have only been out 2 times last year for some lake simicoe perch with freinds so basically have no experience. I read through some other threads on ice fishing prep to get an idea of other items I need. Heres what I have written down so far:

• Ice auger (any brand names would be appreciated)
  • minnow bucket
  • camping chair
  • small sled
  • ice skimmer
  • warm clothing
  • fish finder

I will be fishing in local marinas mostly (I heard that bayfront park and 50 point marina were worth checking out for pike), might also try binbrook conservation area for some crappies and perch.

So I am wondering if there are any special lures I should be purchasing for ice fishing? I'll mainly be targeting panfish, pike, and maybe lake trout.

Also, what minnow sizes and line strength would you guys recommend for pike? I don't think I'll be catching any monsters but I know that there are some 30+ inch pike in these marinas. Would I be best to use a tip-up rather then a rod?

As you can see, I am a complete newbie so any suggustions would help me a lot!

Thanks in advance

- Matt

Started with perch last year, but prior to that I only ice fished for pike. I like those cheap orange tip up thingees that are like $9. Once the flag is tripped, it free spools to let fish run. Plus spool is submerged so you don't have to worry about hole freezing over. I use 10lb test, don't forget the leader. Big honkin sucker hooked lightly through the back, no weight, hello mr pike. Love seeing that orange flag waving in the wind at you

Warm boots, and if you walking a lot, ice picks that attached to your boots.

And don't forget your safey gear. Compass, Ice Picks, Rope, etc. I suggest a cheap floater suit to everyone, but I know most people don't wear them. I almost always do wear mine.

Edited by N.A.W

dead work as well. I've fished both with success. Dead obviously you lay it on bottom, alive I give them enough line to get near bottom if that's where they want to go (suckers head down). Chubs like to swim up so if I'm using chubs I add some weight to the line or they'll tangle you up bad

Manual Auger - Normark FinBore III or Strikemaster Lazer Auger. The new Frabills might be good, but haven't read much about them. I don't own a gas one, so can't help you there. Jiffy are pretty popular though.

Merino wool socks (cotton soaks up perspiration and will make you cold) - this goes for all underclothing really

A Floater suit is a good investment

Good boots - I like my Baffin Titans - not that expensive and very warm

I use a bucket for my chair. It stores my gear as well.

Ice picks - you can make some as well

Lures -

Rapala jigging minnows in various sizes

Northland Buckshot Rattle spoons

Marmooska jigs/Genz Worms (or similar small jigs for panfish). McGathy Slabgrabbers and Hali Jigs are nice too.

Williams Ice Jigs

Meegs or Bad Boys jigs

White tube jigs

Never hurts to have some of the old standards as well, like Bay de Noc Swedish Pimples, Luhr Jensen Krocodile Spoon, Luhr Jensen Crippled Herring, Luhr Jensen Mr. Champ, Hopkins Shorty, Acme Kastmaster, Acme Trophy Spoon, Acme Phoebe

This is a good write up to tackle: http://www.fishingsimcoe.com/conservation/tackle-talk/artificial-baits

finbore III for manual auger

when you get a skimmer, get a metal one with a chisel on the handle

ice spikes for ur boots

floatation suit definitely recommended

flasher is great as well, but it would be $$$

make sure you get a good sled, the pelican ones are a good choice

as for lures, I strongly recommend the gulp alive fish fry

awsome, I picked up some jigs and other tackle. Is it legal to catch chubs and suckers and freeze them and use them for pike bait later or do I have to buy them?

Yup, its legal. Try salting a few of them for extra flavor and to keep them better preserved. Lay the unfrozen minnows on wax/ aluminum paper, pat- dry them and apply pickling salt. Freeze them for your next adventure.

almost every creek around my house is loaded with chubs and suckers. They were all I caught when I was trout fishing in the summer so now I actually have a use for the little buggers. devil.gif

It also works for any leftover shinners if you happen to buy a dozen. It's a good way to save on minnow$.

Edited by Rod Caster

One lure that I would add to that list is a silver flutter spoon. The best one was the Sutton but they are no longer made. There are many similar lures however.

I use the Sutton 71 on 4 lb mono for brook trout. I add no bait nor any sinkers to the line. I just let the lure flutter to the bottom and then I lift it just off the bottom and I constantly twitch it. The brook trout hammer the lure.

I used to ice fish Lake Saint John in Orillia. Haven't been there in awhile but when I did go, it was full of pike. All you needed was a jig and minnow with a bobber. Has anyone been there lately. It must have been a good 8 years for me, since I was there last. Can't wait for the ice.

Edited by Joeestyles