Where have all the rainbows gone

SirCranksalot

WAS MEANING IN GENERAL. I KNOW SOME STILL HAVE GREAT RUNS AND OTHERS JUST GETTIN MURDERED.

FISHED ONE CREEK OUT HERE FOR 13YRS NOW AND ONLY EVER RAN INTO 5GUYS AT MOST FOR 10YRS. PASS THREE YRS YA CAN HARDLY FIND A PARKIN SPOT NOW AND JUST WATCHIN FISH AFTER FISH BEIN TAKIN WILL KILL IT EVENTUALLY.

GLAD THE NOTTY STILL RUNNIN STRONG THEN

Too true. That trib has taken a beating. Too many posts. I hear from the old timers that it's a cyclical thing though... a few years of no fish will turn them all away. 5 or 6 years later, you have a fishery on your hands again. Still, c&r and a 1 fish limit would be extremely helpful.

Then again, if you want to see some real lack of restraint, rent a charter out of any of the harbors in the area...

As for timing runs of fish, sometimes they will start coming in just before the rain starts. Try that, too. Becoming a steelheader is almost the same as becoming a junior weather forecaster...

p.-

Edited by Paulus

Too true. That trib has taken a beating. Too many posts. I hear from the old timers that it's a cyclical thing though... a few years of no fish will turn them all away. 5 or 6 years later, you have a fishery on your hands again. Still, c&r and a 1 fish limit would be extremely helpful.

Then again, if you want to see some real lack of restraint, rent a charter out of any of the harbors in the area...

As for timing runs of fish, sometimes they will start coming in just before the rain starts. Try that, too. Becoming a steelheader is almost the same as becoming a junior weather forecaster...

p.-

I've also heard that a strong N-W wind on the Notta bay will bring fish into the river. I guess that's because the lake level at the mouth rises esp after the wind has been blowing for some time.

Yer not saying you can catch fish in muddy high waters are ya. Interesting read.

I've managed to salvage a day on high muddy waters...but not too muddy...chocolate milk is likely the worst case scenario. Slightly darker than double double coffee can still offer up a few. More often than not they'll take advantage of this situation to be on the move to spawning water. In between runs, I'll target the slackest water I can find. The fish have no concern for cover in these instances. Frothy riffles and fast water are unnecessary to maintain a sense of security...they aren't going to be on a feed either. They are looking to consume the least amount of energy, and will take a bright bag out of reflex..particularly one that releases a lot of scent.

Time to trade in the centerpin for a 8wt, indicators and sucker spawn, lol!!!

Thats not a bad idea. Sucker Spawn flies in the spring can be deadly. I however usually opt for the fly-rod when conditions are less than ideal for roe. Which often happens on the days when I can go on a trip and can't time the weather.

For those that can't always take advantage of timing ideal conditions, versatility earns them rewards.

For the most part...I'll take one fresh fish on a flyrod than 10 on a centre pin. There is no comparison to the battle, not even close and the sense of accomplishment in fooling a beauty steelie on the fly is far more satisfying.

I've hooked thousands of fish on centrepins mind you, and it is generally and usually the next plateau for newbie steelheaders to adopt...because well..they see everyone else doing it and when you refine your steelheading skills it is the next natural way to improve it. But if you want challenge, have matured past numbers and want the sweetest reward possible in steelheading...than a legit caught flyrod steelie is incomparable. Getting one on a swung dry fly is the ultimate. I haven't accomplished that yet, but for the last 15 years I carve out one or two trips a year in an attempt to do so. Flyrod and only dries. I've had about 6 rises and one halfhearted take that I missed in all those years....and I nearly passed out from the adrenaline of that one instance and remember that moment more than any of other fish I've ever taken.

Thats not a bad idea. Sucker Spawn flies in the spring can be deadly. I however usually opt for the fly-rod when conditions are less than ideal for roe. Which often happens on the days when I can go on a trip and can't time the weather.

For those that can't always take advantage of timing ideal conditions, versatility earns them rewards.

For the most part...I'll take one fresh fish on a flyrod than 10 on a centre pin. There is no comparison to the battle, not even close and the sense of accomplishment in fooling a beauty steelie on the fly is far more satisfying.

I've hooked thousands of fish on centrepins mind you, and it is generally and usually the next plateau for newbie steelheaders to adopt...because well..they see everyone else doing it and when you refine your steelheading skills it is the next natural way to improve it. But if you want challenge, have matured past numbers and want the sweetest reward possible in steelheading...than a legit caught flyrod steelie is incomparable. Getting one on a swung dry fly is the ultimate. I haven't accomplished that yet, but for the last 15 years I carve out one or two trips a year in an attempt to do so. Flyrod and only dries. I've had about 6 rises and one halfhearted take that I missed in all those years....and I nearly passed out from the adrenaline of that one instance and remember that moment more than any of other fish I've ever taken.

I get my flyrod fix by tossing big streamers for resident browns and brookies on dries. I don't think I'll be fishing for steelies with anything other then a pin for a while, doesn't appeal to me very much to be honest.

p.-

That one kills me every time I pull up. I have seen you from afar there Paul, but never actually introduced myself. I always tried to be extra careful with any pictures out of there, but can't help but think that I probably played a part in the destruction. I leave it alone now, way too many guys on a small run of fish.