Nipissing Ice Fishing - Operator Recommendation

sneak_e_pete

Hi there, I am wanting to take my 4 year old son ice fishing for the first time this year. I have stayed with one operator for the past 4 years (South Shore) and they have been awesome, however I have always found the walleye fishing to be very hit and miss. Just wondering if anyone has any other suggestions or great experiences. It will be just him and I going and want to stay for 3 nights.

Thanks in advance.

waltonian inn, has been my favourite for the past 3 years. great food, service, cabins, and the ice huts are massive! the fishing is hit and miss everywhere on nipissing. some years we went there and caught over 40 herring, a mess walleye and a few pike in 3 days, while others we could barley get a perch. overall though this place is amazing try it out!

We have stayed at Idle Tyme a number of years, very good service. Walleye catching can really be hit and miss there although the perch would make up for the slow time. Make sure to bring some games along for him to play or a portable DVD player. At 4 years old, they have their limits on attention span. My youngest used to come with me, watch cartoons on a little B&W TV, catch fish and go build a snow fort. He is still fishing today, if it wasn't for work, probably fish every day.

We have used two operators:

Idle Tyme and The Waltonian Inn

Both were great hosts etc - and dont think you can go wrong with either

We did however have much more luck fishing at Idle Tyme than we did at the Waltonian

In fairness to the Waltonian we arrived at the height of a cold snap (-30 without the wind chill) so fishing seemed to be tough for everyone

No pickeral - lots of perch and the odd whitefish at Idle Tyme

Cheers

Gordy