Line Fraying

Gregoire

I did not want to hijack the topic on new braids so I decided to start a new one on why lines, particularly braids, will fray. I have been using braid almost exclisively for a few years now, and I have noticed that in the past two years my line has been fraying a lot less frequently, and I have lost a lot less lures on casts. I think the reason for this is that I have started to invest in higher end fishing rods and reels. In my opinion a large amount of line fraying can be blamed on cheap rods with poor quality guides, or when guides get knicked.

I'm not saying that there are not bad batches of braid out there, just that I find it weird that some people find one type of braid to be great while another person thinks it is crap. I know if my line if frayed, or if a lure breaks off on a cast one of the first things I do is check my guides.

Cant say i have had much problem with fraying braid.Mostly fading.So far,with my limited experience, i find PowerPro suits me best.I have only tried Spidewire, Powerpro and Suffix832, mind you, but Power pro seems to keep its color and appearance longer.

I've been researching a purchase of a new reel for next season, and alot of the descriptions say 'Braid Ready' Does that mean that if it doesnt say 'Braid Ready', they are not suitable for use with braid? Maybe that is the problem wit the fraying, the reel is not setup for briaded linedunno.gif

I've been researching a purchase of a new reel for next season, and alot of the descriptions say 'Braid Ready' Does that mean that if it doesnt say 'Braid Ready', they are not suitable for use with braid? Maybe that is the problem wit the fraying, the reel is not setup for briaded linedunno.gif

The newer spools are grooved, Paul.

the line fraying will also depend on what you don't see and how you fish. let's say you are fishing a 20' deep part of a lake that has some rather strong weed growth (plants at about the 8' tall point) and you are dragging a lure through it. I wonder how much damage that will do to your line rubbing on all those weeds? also, rocks and zebra mussels as well. if you fish downed trees, the same question, how bad is the line getting beat up? I look into what I'm fishing with and how before I say something like it 'frays a lot' because you (everyone) and I don't fish the same way. I look at what/when/where/how when I give a review on something because your Subaru might not drive like my Subaru does even if they are the same car made 2 days apart.

I look at shape of the line because it helps in casting farther if round and how often I have to re-tie because of how I fish. other gear like rods and reels are not much of a factor now will all the new gear because the new $20 rod is using 1 to 2 year old technology from the $100+ rod the same company makes. just check on your gear to make sure that it's not damaged...

there, that's my 2 cents for ya...

Edited by GBW

Dana, now is the perfect time to invest in a really nice combo.

Shimano is rolling out a bunch of new models, and the old stuff is discounted at most of the larger retailers.

Get yerself a Stradic, I promise you'll love it.

I don't use the Ugly Stik/GX125 combo anymore, it's just a backup and sometimes guests use it. I'd go and buy a Compre (or a St. Croix of some kind) and Stradic if I had the money, but I don't. I am using a Voltaeus and Spirex now, both of which I really like. I need to save up for ice fishing gear since I don't even own winter boots... And more importantly than any of that, a truck.

Just a couple of thoughts...

The original Fireline was fused not a braided. The fibres were laid out lengthwise then fused by together using some type of chemical or heat process. The line always got fuzzy looking as soon as the finish started to wear off...This didn't seem to hurt the strength too much. Possibly because the line strength was underrated by close to 50%. Perhaps Berkely underrated it because it got fuzzy so fast!?!?

Powerpro colours their line with coloured wax. Other companies use paint or fabric dyes applied directly to the line. Regardless of what is used, the colour will not stick to the Dyneema or Spectra fibres for very long. Get used to it! If you put it in the water it will fade. Faded line is not a sign of weakness.

All this talk about how long the line holds it colour is mental masturbation. Get yourself a Magic Marker and colour the last two feet of your faded line if you believe it is important.

Years ago line guides were made of metal and after a few seasons most tip guides became grooved by the mono lines we used back then. Things got much better with the introduction of ceramic guide inserts...However, even today there is a huge difference in line guide quality. For instance, a Fugi SIC guide set for an average 6 to 7 foot rod costs about $55.00 while the same companies Hardloy guides would only cost about $10.00. These are still pretty good guides, but there are many cheaper no-name guides out there. Since they all look roughly the same, guides are one place where a company can lower their cost without it showing very much. So my friends, if you are buying from the low end of any companies line of rods, you can guess what quality you are getting!

More important to this discussion is the fact that even the best guides can easily be damaged by winding the hook, swivel or lure-eye into the tip guide, or by using the guides as a hook keeper. I see this all the time and it is a major no-no! Please think of these inserts as glass...they will chip or crack easily if mistreated.

Garry2R's