How Do You Change A 3-Piece Rod To A 2-Piece?

Photoz

I wuzz havin' a bad day today and THIS just made it PERFECT. My van was pointed slightly downhill, with the side slider open. I got my rod tip stuck in a seatbelt buckle . . . finally got unhooked, and left the rod kinda hangin' out the door. As I was walking around the van, the door slid shut . . . . with a distinctive loud 'CR R R R U N C H!!' Uh oh . . . . oh dam!! Yup, snapped my 10.5' St. Croix Wild River between the 2nd & 3rd guides. Can this be repaired? Or do I have to buy the whole top half? Where? Just on a whim I stopped in at Tightlines in Pickering and fell in love with up new St. Croix Avid so, since I'm gonna be laid up for a couple months, starting in November, I should be ready in the spring . . . . love the feel of it . . . . LOOK OUT TROUT, eh?

Actually after going to the St. Croix website, I was pleasantly surprised. The lady with whom this was discussed looked up my serial number and found this particular rod had the design changed in 2004 . . . . . I bought it in 2005. Since the tops manufactured today wouldn't fit the pre-2006 she said I could have a brand spanking new one for $50.00, tax, shipping & handling included, which I was happy to accept. The only problem I encountered was when I went to Fed Ex to ship it to the Fed Ex depot in Mississauga . . . . I only went to FedEx because I thought it would be cheaper . . . . WOW!! They wanted $44.00 . . . . . the tube I got (compliments of Lebarons) was 7' 3" and weighed about a kilo. I went to Canada Post . . . . to send by regular mail (with signature) was just pennies over $13.00! T'anks for the tip . . . . that will be my spare rod now! Look out trout!

I thought you worked for CP Steve? :whistling::sarcasm:

Glad to read it worked out for ya.

I just assumed that since Fed Ex was transporting this tube to their depot in Mississauga, and St. Croix is footing the bill to get it the rest of the way to Wisconsin, they'd cut me a break? But, technically speaking, they want to be paid TWICE! My bet is that we (Canada Post,) will get it there, (Dixie & #401) regular mail by tomorrow, and the cost less than a third of what FED Ex wants. We might get birched at a lot, but we're STILL dependable, and our rates are reasonable!

I just assumed that since Fed Ex was transporting this tube to their depot in Mississauga, and St. Croix is footing the bill to get it the rest of the way to Wisconsin, they'd cut me a break? But, technically speaking, they want to be paid TWICE! My bet is that we (Canada Post,) will get it there, (Dixie & #401) regular mail by tomorrow, and the cost less than a third of what FED Ex wants. We might get birched at a lot, but we're STILL dependable, and our rates are reasonable!

That's great customer service from St Croix. I wonder if Fenwick would be so kind to me (Probably not)

canada post is great, one of the few places that doesn't rip us off at the counter. Purolator and FedEx are in it for corporate greed, not to provide a service.

That's great customer service from St Croix. I wonder if Fenwick would be so kind to me (Probably not)

canada post is great, one of the few places that doesn't rip us off at the counter. Purolator and FedEx are in it for corporate greed, not to provide a service.

Fenwick USED to have a policy where, if you broke your rod, they would also give you a new one, for about $50.00 can't hurt to give 'em a try . . . . . a few years ago I had a big ol' carp on a 9' Fenwick . . . . it snapped . . . . I called Fenwick, and they gave me the shipping info, I sent my old rod (paid $150.00 for it, new) back to Winnipeg with a cheque for &50.00, I had it back (via C. P. both ways) in under 3 weeks! They likely still have that policy?

I am a St Croix dealer and am very impressed with their customer service. I usually try to put 3 or 4 rods together for my customers to help cut down on the shipping. The tubes cost around $23 from here in orangeville down to the depot and then you have to pay the $20 for the return shipping from StCroix. Never had one refused yet, so $7 + $20 + $30(non warranty tip replacement) = $57 for a brand new $200 rod is a heck of a deal. Other companies that I deal with charge you a $70 warranty regestration then if the rod does break you are on the hook for all the shipping also. One particular rod cost the customer $120 to replace his $150 rod...Lifetime warranty dosen't mean free replacement...

DOS