Small report

manitoubass2

Last Saturday was the 6th annual Manitou Walleye derby. We pre fished for a few days before hand (lol, me and my partners live here, so is it really pre fishing?) But the weather was perfect for walleye, and we were ready to go try and win!

It was cold and overcast, with 40-60kmh wind gusts, talk about tough weather! Fortunately, the area we chose to fish was at least somewhat secluded from the big winds.

The day started off great! Alot of teams showed up, which means more money on the line!!! We anchored on a high current seam in 11ft of water, each of us using different approaches to see what the hot bait would be. Didn't really help, because all 4 of us had boated 21"ers in the first ten minutes!

As the day went on, we landed 20-30 good fish, but no great ones. Best we could muster was a 21.75" that actually held the lead for some time. Seemed nobody else could get on a bite. Until,

The 5 minute warning. We had left our numbers in favor of a shallow hump that has produced big fish before. As soon as we pull up, the hollering begins!

Damn, we knew right away what that meant, hahaha.

25" was the measurement, which is not a monster walleye, but today it sure was!

It was a great time anyhow, and some stories and beers were shared afterwards. My girlfriend greeted all the teams with some hot chilli to help add some much needed warmth after a day in sub zero temps and god like winds.

A few pics taken from some onlookers.

Getting rigged up and ready to go.

oct15009-1.jpg

Kids were out showing support from the shore

oct15005-1.jpg

poached pic of the winning walleye!

oct15002-1.jpg

Picture with the trophy from last year, before it got handed to a new owner

oct15011.jpg

All in all it was a great time, and thanks to those that helped put the event together and contributed sponsorship!!! And a big shout out to Mercman for his support as well!!! (your products were very well received! Thanks again!!!

Now, 3 weeks left of the best walleye fishing of the year for us, here on the Rainy River!!! Gonefishing.gif

All in all it was a great time, and thanks to those that helped put the event together and contributed sponsorship!!! And a big shout out to Mercman for his support as well!!! (your products were very well received! Thanks again!!!

Now, 3 weeks left of the best walleye fishing of the year for us, here on the Rainy River!!! Gonefishing.gif

It was my pleasure Budclapping.gif Just happy they got there on time.Sounds like a great time was had by allGonefishing.gif

Paul

I wish we had more tournaments around here...

This year there was only one... Opening walleye tournament...

Yeah, I hear you. We have 5-6 good ones between walleye/smallies, but I still wish we had some walleye tourneys a little closer. I got 3 bigger tournies to fish next year, so for now its just me and my partner doing alot of practising and meshing our styles together.

Gonan be fun next year!!!

Nice derby report - good luck next time. What kind of setup were you using?

We anchored shallow, using the current to manipulate are line into the zone we wanted to fish. We jig fished, but not vertical jigging. 3/8 oz. jigs for the most part, with black/silver plastics and shiners. No room at this spot to troll, but we did a few drifts towards the end with Dt series cranks. Rods were varied between us. I used a 6ft medium for jigging, and a 6'6" medium heavy for cranks.

It was a simple plan, and produced alot of fish in 4 hours, just no cowbeenas on that day

Edited by manitoubass2