Watching one of the best shows ever

nroadrunner

That show is amazing. The guy in it is also nothing short of amazing. I can't believe how hard he worked. Forget about building that cabin by hand...I couldn't even cut all my firewood without a chainsaw.

I thought it was really cool how he packed his tools in without handles and just made new ones when he got there. He had some mad saw/axe/chisel skills.

It's a good thing an OFNer didn't attempt that. The fishing looked like it was pretty good, so no work would have got done and the first winter would be unsurvivable.

I don't think there are any other shows like that, because I don't think there's any other men like that.

Edited by fishNwire

I was in Whitehorse in 2005, and stopped in to Mac's Fireweed Bookstore on Main St. I was browsing, and came across "Alone in the Wilderness". I'd never heard of Dick Proenneke at the time, but I bought the book because it looked intriguing. I've since read the book about 4 times. His story is nothing short of amazing and inspiring, and I think most of us here in OFC have had fantasies run through our heads at one time or another of doing just what Dick did. A simpler time.

About 2 years ago, I was flipping through the guide on the satellite and saw the PBS documentary that used Dick's self-made video and it was even more amazing. All the photos in the book and on the website below, and the footage used in the TV documentary were filmed and taken with tripods and timers.

www.aloneinthewilderness.com

Edited by vtbass