Question for the Mechanics/Tire guys NF

mercman

Just bought a new Jeep Compass with 215/55R18 tires. I have winter tires with rims 215/65R16. Are these ok as winter replacements for my car?

Paul

Paul . 55's are a wide tire , not good for winter , stay narrow in winter with lower numbers like 65 , 78 , 70 .

Paul . 55's are a wide tire , not good for winter , stay narrow in winter with lower numbers like 65 , 78 , 70 .

there is also a 100% chance the 16" rim wont fit where the 18" came off , 16"rim wont clear the brake calpier and rotors .

Edited by Skipper " D "

how you's liking the new Compass ?

Love it !!!

We had a Caliber R/T that my wife called the ZoomZoomw00t.gif The Compass has the same 2.4L Mitsubishi motor and tranny. We got the 2012 limited and it has everything in itclapping.gif I love the heated leather seats and automatic climate control. Built in navigation, 30gig HD, DVD player,bluetooth, 9 speaker Boston aucoustics sound systemthumbsup_anim.gif Heated mirrors, auto nite adjusting rearview mirror, cruise control,tinted windows,auto/stick shifter,voice command electronics,and a few other things i cant rememberwhistling.gif

the 215/65r16 is only 1.1% differance in diameter to the 18 inch size the 16 inch rim will work no problem unless the vehicle is equipped with the srt package,

thumbsup_anim.gif Great news.Thanks for the info.The Caliber i traded in had 18 in rims, and these were the winter tires for that vehicule, so i am pretty sure they will fit on the Compass. Just wanted to be sure before installing them.

Going from 18" to 16" will put your speedometer out of whack.

The smaller rims will spin faster then the 18", which will show a faster speed on the speedometer then you are actually going.

On the brighter side, your wife wont get to many speeding tickets! :whistling:

Going from 18" to 16" will put your speedometer out of whack.

The smaller rims will spin faster then the 18", which will show a faster speed on the speedometer then you are actually going.

On the brighter side, your wife wont get to many speeding tickets! :whistling:

Not if the tires are a larger diameter like in this case

The 55 is the height of the sidewall, which is actually a percentage of the width. So 55% of 215mms is the sidewall height (215 x 0.55 = 118.25mm) It's got nothing to do with the width of the tire.

If the OP can find 16in rims that will fit, go for it.

The 55 is the height of the sidewall, which is actually a percentage of the width. So 55% of 215mms is the sidewall height (215 x 0.55 = 118.25mm) It's got nothing to do with the width of the tire.

If the OP can find 16in rims that will fit, go for it.

Thanks Bill, they are on 16in rims. They were the winter tires from my Dodge Caliber R/T,which also had 18in summer tires. 16in are so much cheaper than 18.

Paul