NASCAR in Kansas

danc

Last weekend was my annual trip to Kansas City for the NASCAR event held there each year at this time. Actually with travel and 4 days at the track in turns into a week long event. The weather was great. Mid 80's f every day although it was a little more windy than I would have liked. We were in our usual spot on the back stretch motorhome terrace. Arguably some of the best seats in the house. The Canadian flag marks our spot.

kc13.jpg

This is an early morning view looking across the track at the grandstand. KANSAS SPEEDWAY spelled out in the seats is new this year and a nice touch. On Sunday those words were hidden by the 80,000+ people sitting in those seats.

kc1.jpg

On friday night we were treated to an ARCA series race under the lights at the track. This was the first ever night race held there as the lights were installed there only last year. It was really awesome to watch. Look for a night CUP series race there in the next year or two. I didn't take any shots of the race itself, but this shot gives you an idea of how the facility looked all lit up.

kcb1.jpg

There's lots to do at the race track between on track activity. For instance, I stold this Kansas Speedway police Harley Davidson when the cop wasn't looking. Lucky for me I had it back before he returned. :whistling:

kcb.jpg

Saturday was the Nationwide series race. Brad Kezolowski ran away with it. I took lots of photos but I won't bore you with them. The real reason we were here was for the big boys CUP series race on Sunday. There's just a different feeling in the air when you awake on Sunday morning. It's race day!! There's just a buzz of activity happening everywhere. The grandstands slowly start to fill, helicopters are landing and taking off from the infield, and a band is playing a concert for early arrivers. The infield campers are perched atop of the campers hours before the green flag.

kca2.jpg

And people are taking pictures of anything and everything.

kc20.jpg

The pre race scoring tower.

kc5.jpg

I always get a chill down my spine when the American National anthem is sung in front of 100,000 people. You just know what's coming at the end of it. This year we were treated to a flyover by 4 A-10 Thunderbolt II Warthogs. It was awesome.

kc4.jpg

kc3.jpg

It was now time for the green flag. Rousch team mates Greg Biffle and Carl Edwards lined up on the front row. The Fords were strong in qualifying.

kc23.jpg

And another Ford team mate, Matt Kenseth, started fourth.

kc11.jpg

Turn 2, lap 1.

kc9.jpg

The following are just a bunch of random shots that I took during the race.

kc10.jpg

kc19.jpg

kc18.jpg

kc15.jpg

kc6.jpg

kc8.jpg

kc12.jpg

As the race progressed, it was clear that nobody was going to touch Jimmie Johnson. It made for a bit of a boring race, but not only is Jimmie my favourite driver, but I also had him in the pool at the track. So I didn't mind so much. :thumbsup_anim:

After a few late cautions, JJ finally took the checkers. Litterally.

kc21.jpg

He did a small burn out for us.

kc22.jpg

And I'll be darned if he didn't drive around to the backstretch and hand the checkered flag to me to keep.

kc2.jpg

Well, he didn't really do that until later that night after I fell asleep and started dreaming. Yup. I'm a big fan.

Can't wait for next year already!!!

Jimmie Johnson eh? I'm telling Phaneuf. Sounds like another great year with your buds there Dan. Some super pics again this year too. That tent back there looks massive! Looks as though you could have another track, grandstand and all in there!

Really glad you had a good time.

• 3 weeks later...