Merc 50hp idle/trolling issues

scugpg

Hey guys I have a 50hp Merc carburated 4 stroke and it seems to run rough at idle sometimes and occasionally stall out. Trolling around 3-5mph it sometimes misses. Running 2000rpm and above it runs great and seems to run better after going WOT for a little while.

Changed the fuel filter, plugs, ran a bunch of seafoam through it this year. Runs better after plug change but still happens consistently.

I also notice that the fuel bulb doesn't stay stiff on this motor...I've heard that this can be typical on these models but not sure.

Has a built in fuel tank and put in a new fuel bulb this year.

What else could be causing the issue? I know it was sitting quite a bit last year so hoping there isn't a bunch of water in the tank under the floor. Would be a real pain to pull the floor up. Any ideas?

Thanks!

I've got the same motor

You may have the Ethanol blues---a degraded piece of crap in your carbs

Took mine to a merc dealer who blew out the ports and reset the carbs--sorry hate to be the bearer of bad news

PS I have the tiller so mines better :whistling:

Dish soap and water. Spray hoses, connections. Look for bubbles.

Good point! I tightened the in/out connections at the fuel pump but could still hear hissing. It honestly sounded like it was from inside the housing but will give that a try its got to be somewhere.

FYI on the fuel bulb, it will prime solid but go down a minute or two after priming....whether starting it or not.