anyone ever fish in Hawaii?

ricoboxing

Next week I'm leaving for Oahu for 8 days. Other than stuffing my face with BBQ, I would like to do some fishing. There's a small inland reservoir that holds some peacock bass, but if I want some good fishing then I would probably have to charter a boat. Anyone has any experience fishing from shore?

Shore fishing off rocky points is fun. Just need some shrimp and a bobber.

Locals will help as well. One good thing about anywhere in Hawaii is that the shoreline is public property. No matter which island. So you are free to fish almost anywhere.

One big caveat is that every once in a while a really big wave comes along, and since all rock there is volcanic, you can get very badly hurt if you get knocked over by a rogue wave.

I've seen the odd one completely flood a crowded beach, and people and chairs etc washed into the ocean. Be careful.

If you Are looking for a beautiful endless beach check out Kailua. Awesome.

It's not for everyone but if you are going all that way, I'd strongly recommend going out on a deep sea charter for pelagic fish such as Marlin, Mahi, Wahoo, Tuna etc. My wife and went to Maui and went out on a charter and had a blast and caught tons of fish. It's cheaper if you share the charter with others but you'll obviously have to rotate on whose turn it is for the next fish. One word of caution, the seas are usually quite large out there and it's not for someone who is prone to getting sea sick or hasn't spent much time on the open water such as the Great Lakes or the ocean.