Lake Joseph fall fishing

bandito

Howdy y'all

I'm new to the board (although I have been lurking for a while), and would like to start by offering a 'cheers' to all and that I'm stoked to have found such a great community who love fishing as much as I do!

A friend has a cottage on Lake Joe and I've been going up on a regular basis for several years now. The only problem is nobody fishes, it's more of a wine and dine vibe and I've had enough. It pains me to look out onto this beautiful lake from the dock. My friends think I'm some kind of weirdo for wanting to fish (ok, maybe the hours of being anti-social & casting from the dock might be the reason but nonetheless). I figured a few good smallies would spark some interest, but to no avail.

I'm extending a plea for help in my quest to prove to them that fishing is a must on the weekend to do list. We have a growing brood of little ones who would love to get out and enjoy what this lake has to offer.

Now, there is a boat but no downrigger or sonar so I'll have to study the maps for potential spots.

Smallies I could handle but lakers, which would be a first for me, would seal the deal. I got a faint whiff of something, I'm hoping it's good pot from the neighbors and not a skunk... LOL

Anyways, I'm stoked to be getting out on the lake but I'm also looking forward to contributing to future discussions on this board.

Cheers all and happy fishing!!

PS: feel free to PM me if you feel like helping a brother out.

Welcome to the board. Never fished it, but, if memory serves me correctly...think Pete Bowman (Fish N Canada) did a show there last year, and, hooked some really nice fall smallies, pike and a laker.

I remember the episode because they were mentioning all the million $ cottages, and, lack of fishing pressure.

Think they were using jigging spoons in fairly deep( 25-30 ft )off points for the bass. Fallen trees on shorelines for the pike.

Try googling it.

Edited by FRANKIE65

Welcome to the board. Never fished it, but, if memory serves me correctly...think Pete Bowman (Fish N Canada) did a show there last year, and, hooked some really nice fall smallies, pike and a laker.

I remember the episode because they were mentioning all the million $ cottages, and, lack of fishing pressure.

Think they were using jigging spoons in fairly deep( 25-30 ft )off points for the bass. Fallen trees on shorelines for the pike.

Try googling it.

A lot of their fish came on big sucker minnows :)

Welcome aboard, and keep in mind that lakers close Sep. 30. Lots of good advice in that episode of fishn Canada...basically look for classic smallie structure and pound the bottom. Great time of the year for big smallies...go get'em!

The guy that guided on the show, by the way, runs the bait shop in Glen Orchard....at 118/169

Don't need a downrigger ... just put a one or two ounce weight hanging about 18" off a three way swivel and run about a 6 foot lead back to a white or silver flutter spoon (mooselook or similar) ... and have fun !!!

Lakers closed on Joe until Feb 15th (after next week) ... but opens again on Rosseau on Jan 1st

rented a place there during the Labor Day weekend

Found it frustrating to cast there - EVERYONE WITH PROPERTY ON THAT LAKE seems to have speed boats, jet-skis, etc. and love to rip it.

My daughter caught her first fish off the dock (smallie) with live bait and a bobber.

I caught a nice 2lber using the same technique earlier in the morning.

You'll need to go deep for Lakers - but as mentioned - you just need to re-rig for the ciccumstances