Cold Morning Smallies

LucG

Well its been a while since I’ve written a decent report, so I hope you enjoy!

Woke up Friday morning ready to fish. I knew it was going to be a cold one so I put on the layers and headed off to pick up my partner. Turns out it was too cold for him so he changed his mind. :wallbash: Having already packed all my gear, made a lunch and hooked up the boat, there was no way I was going to go back home and unload everything. So I decided to head out on my own. On the way to the launch I began thinking that this was going to be the first time I had ever gone fishing in my boat alone. I wasn’t sure if I’d enjoy it or not, though maybe I’d go crazy if I had no one to talk too…lol Not to mention the though of something going wrong, but wasn’t to worried about that as I am a fairly safe minded guy. I made sure to tell someone where I was going, and what time I’d be back. Was also sure to wear my PFD and kill switch tether.

Anyways, launched the boat on my own just fine, I was actually complimented on the method I used as well as how speedy I was. I decided to break down the lake and work one small area that I had never fished (I was targeting smallmouth bass). I was surprised at how much good water I found! Lately on this lake I found the smallies were relating to rocks that were surrounded or near submerged cabbage. Having deep water close by seem to make or break these locations.

Having noticed fish breaking the surface almost immediately, I started the day with a top water popper, keeping my wacky rigged senko close by for any that would boil and short strike, or follow up. This technique worked wonders for me all morning. Although I did not land anything with any size, there were a lot of these to be had. :thumbsup_anim:

dsc04030k.jpg

Wanting to make my friend regret bailing on me at the last minute, I sent him a few of these pics. Within an hour he was calling me from the boat launch, waiting to be picked up. Haha. By that time it had warmed up quite a bit, and surprisingly the fishing slowed down a lot. We were managing a few fish here and there, but nothing to brag about. I had noticed the surface temp had risen almost 6 degrees from what it was in the morning. I’m assuming this had something to do with it, but then again, I’m not a pro so it really is just a guess…lol :dunno:

After deciding to call it a day, we made one last stop at a mid lake rock shoal that is usually always good for a fish. Once again, it would not disappoint, cause this beautiful bruiser nailed my jerk bait, and fought for its life. Little did he know he was being released anyways. It was the perfect way to end the day! :good:

dsc04029hs.jpg

At a time of year I usually switch over to walleye, pike and musky, I’m glad I went out after some smallies. If you can get on them, they are extremely fun to fish in the fall.

Fishing alone for part of the day was very relaxing. No noise other then loons calling and fish jumping. I will definitely not let the fact that I couldn’t find anyone to fish with stop me from going!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by LucG

Thanks! I actually though about NipFisher's post a while back. Was going to see if I could get an OFNer to join me, but I didnt have time for that.

Was actually just a sweater and rain coat, but yes, its amazing how fall temps change throughout the day. I've been fishing alot lately and most days I'm too cold in the morning, but too hot in the afternoon. lol

Edited by LucG

Nice fish! I love catching bass, especially on top water.

Yeah, Saturday was cool too.. I hit Liberty Lake A BODY OF WATER at about 5:30am, and the sun didn't rise for well over an hour, maybe close to two and holy freaking crap it was cold on the hands. It warmed up a bit by the time I was leaving. In the afternoon I went to Anima-Nip A DIFFERENT BODY OF WATER in the afternoon, and it was warm enough that I could have worn shorts. Almost immediately after the sun went down, it was brutal cold again (at least on the hands).

I need to find some gloves for times like this, but I want good ones that let me still feel the rod and cast easily.

You're right too, fishing alone can be super relaxing. I've yet to take my canoe out alone, but I do from the shore often enough. Your post makes me wanna go out tonight or tomorrow, but I've not been having good luck lately.

Edit: I said "then" way too many times.

Edited by Dana

Nice fish! I love catching bass, especially on top water.

Yeah, Saturday was cool too.. I hit Liberty Lake A BODY OF WATER at about 5:30am, and the sun didn't rise for well over an hour, maybe close to two and holy freaking crap it was cold on the hands. Then it warmed up a bit by the time I was leaving. Then I went to Anima-Nip A DIFFERENT BODY OF WATER in the afternoon, and it was warm enough that I could have worn shorts. Then almost immediately after the sun went down, it was brutal cold again (at least on the hands).

I need to find some gloves for times like this, but I want good ones that let me still feel the rod and cast easily.

You're right too, fishing alone can be super relaxing. I've yet to take my canoe out alone, but I do from the shore often enough. Your post makes me wanna go out tonight or tomorrow, but I've not been having good luck lately.

Mechanic style gloves work well for me in the fall before it gets too cold. They fit snug, keep in body heat and you can still handle your reel easily.

beauty fish and great report!

It's just my opinion, but I actually prefer to fish alone the majority of the time. I find it's slower and more enjoyable for me. With 2-3 other people, time seems to fly by too fast

I hear ya! As much as I enjoy fishing with friends, its nice to have the whole boat to myself! :thumbsup_anim:

But the best part about it is that when your fishing alone, you can't be out-fished by your partner! :rofl2:

Thanks for this thread !!clapping.gif I have been considering fishing alone too. You know them days when the wife doesnt want to fishwhistling.gif Now i am definately going to give it a go.

Great report and nice bronzebacks!!! Thanks

Paul

I'd highly recommend it! I'm sure not everyone would enjoy it as some go fishing for the comradery, but I go fish to catch fish!

Just make sure you let someone know your plans! But I think that goes without saying.