Confidence in Lure

manjo39

I try to look at my tackle box and apply the same indiscriminate values that I apply to my job as a teacher. Sometimes I randomly use lures that I have little confidence in to allow for the opportunity to be surprised. Don't get me wrong, I still use species-specific baits... but I feel that I too often force myself into the same typical model of thinking, that isn't always best. I usually bust out my consistent baits first, but if they fail I won't hesitate to try something new, or something unexpected. If we never experimented, we would never find new baits.

I used to fish muskies with a couple buds who used Sledges alot and liked them so I went out and bought a couple. I fished them for a season but just never really took a liking to them, didn't have much confidence in them, and gave them away.

A couple years later I was fishing with someone else on the Ottawa River and watched him get a 30 pounder on a white Sledge so figured it was time to give them another try.

The white Sledge has now become one of my top 3 lures and gets me alot of nice fish every year.

Funny how things turn around :lol:

Anyone ever catch a fish with a lure that you had no confidence in?

OMGOSH I saw this post and I must reply! Recent story:

Fishing off the dock at my friend's cottage, no luck with mepps, rapala shads, spoons, etc. Got frustrated so I took out this old random lure I didn't even know how to work in the water and... BAM smallmouth as soon as it hit the water. Anyway.... *pats myself on the back* good story whistling.gif

I don't have much confidence in my spinners. I only caught what's in my avatar on one of them, and other that that, nothing. I know they work. I've seen a big pike caught on a Mepps #3!

The other no-confidence lures for me are the Moto Minnow (uh...) and the version of the Jitterbug that I own (hooks on back). The former, well, it's a freaking wind-up toy. The latter, I have had a few strikes, but I dunno, there are just two hooks at the back, and so the fish have to hit it a certain way to even have a chance at setting the hook. I only had one on once, and I thought I had set the hook, and suddenly I had confidence in it. Maybe I did it too hard, or maybe it didn't have the hooks in its mouth at all - I don't know, but it got off after 15-20 seconds or so, and away went my confidence. I like the lure, just not the hooks. I want the other version with the Hula Popper-like double hanging trebles.