GoodYear Marathon tires

lew

I read quite a few different fishing and boating websites and see alot of posts from guys having problems with GoodYear Marathon trailer tires that are made in China.

In every post though, it seems more guys have not had any problem with theirs.

My last trailer, a single axle, had the Chinese made Marathons and I put about 5000 miles on them with absolutely no problems at all. My new tandem axle trailer also has 4 Chinese made Marathons but I've only got around 1200 miles so far this season but so far, so good.

I'm always very vigilant about my tires and check the pressures before EVERY trip and never use tires more than 5 years before replacing them.

With all the negative posts about them though, I'm just curious if anyone here uses the Chinese marathons on their trailers and have you had any issues with them ??

Edited by lew

I have been towing for 30 yrs without any kind of problem with tires.I believe in lots of air and lots of grease,the trailers on the side of the road with tire and axle problems are as far as I am concerned are caused by neglect and expecting your trailer to carry way more than it should.I have seen more bent axles than I care to and I don't mean the ones that are suppose to be curved,rubber streaks being left by an 8 inch tire on the 401 can only lead to trouble.

vance

The Chinese Marathon tires are not as good as the older US made (they were all but bullet proof); but they are still a decent trailer tire.

The only issues my customers have had was when they didn’t do this.

I'm always very vigilant about my tires and check the pressures before EVERY trip and never use tires more than 5 years before replacing them.

Dan.

Yup. Lew you're not likely to have many problems with tires because of your driving style and the fact that you look after your stuff. Most folks only check their tires when one is visibly low...run them into curbs and rocks and things then complain about poor quality. For a trailer I'd be more concerned about out of round rims and faulty hubs than tires. But hey, you know how opinions work. :)

I have a set of marathons on the boat trailer and they seem like a real nice tire. Three years in and looking like new. The first year they saw tons of road, not much the last two years. I am assuming they are the Chinese tires as they are three years old.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Grimace

Yup. Lew you're not likely to have many problems with tires because of your driving style and the fact that you look after your stuff. Most folks only check their tires when one is visibly low...run them into curbs and rocks and things then complain about poor quality. For a trailer I'd be more concerned about out of round rims and faulty hubs than tires. But hey, you know how opinions work. :)

Your 100% correct Roy and it always amazes me how little attention some folks pay to something sooooo important as tires.

Basic maintenance on a trailer will prevent 99% of the problems experienced. The other 1% is from hitting potholes, curbs and the like. Make sure the tires are properly inflated for the load you are carrying and make sure that there is some grease in the hubs. Aluminum rims tend to leak after a few years so keep that in mind. Check the hubs every couple of hours when on a long trip, if they are hot to the touch (not just warm), it means that there is a problem. Fix it then and there, whether it means some grease, adjusting bearings or even replacing them on the spot. I have the old US Marathons on my trailer and they are fine, they aren't dry rotted and there is plenty of tread left with no bulges anywhere. I'm due for new tires and it'll be done next year after the boat gets splashed for the summer.

Dan, do you think your seeing more of the Chinese made tires coming back than the American version ??

Yea I think that today’s Marathons are not as tolerant towards the abuse that trailer tires are subjected to. I’ve seen a fair amount of sidewall issues (bulges) and tread separation; but again was the tire properly inflated and if so was the trailer overloaded?

So maybe yes they do fail more often then the older Marathons; but no worse then any other tire of the same design.

There’s one other thing that a lot of people don't think of when their fairly new trailer tire fails and they're condemning the tire. Trailer tires are not V rated racing tires; they were not designed to be dragged down the 401 at 140K per-hour. We’ve all likely seen it; you’ll be doing a buck 20 and then out of nowhere, Mario will pass you (dragging a trailer) as if you’re standing still.

Dan.

Lew, goodyear annouced a few months ago that production of the marathon tire was to be brought back to north america do to quality control issues, but so far i havn't encountered any problems with them that weren't related to customer maintenance

Thanks Ernie, that's good to hear, too bad ALOT more stuff doesn't come back over here because of quality control issues.

As for the maintanance issues, I've read alot of reports where guys claim to be maintaining their tires properly but still having problems, even on fairly new tires. Just seems to be more problems with the Chinese made tires than when they were made on this side of the ocean.

And Dan, I hear you on the speed issues. Darned right scary to see the speeds that some guys are towing their trailers.

Way too many doorknobs on the highways positively flying pulling a boat/trailer. I keep it to under 100kph when I pull the boat with the minivan. I can go faster but in an emergency, I need to be able to stop. How do some of these yahoos out there think they can go 120kph+ and think they will be able to stop???? So, Dan, what are your recommendations on trailer tires??? Stick to Marathons or go with something else?? I guess I have to start thinking about it since I'm doing trailer tires next spring. I don't mind a deal on tires as long as they are a name brand. I've had pretty good luck that way and have never gone with off brands, there always seems to be a better deal if you take the time to look.