2 new lakes in one day.

limeyangler

Hi all.

went out with a buddy of mine looking for crappie in a lake that neither of us had fished before. Swen had heard a rumour that there were crappie in there and wanted to catch one since he never had before. I love the challenge of fishing a new lake. getting there with no idea of depth or structure...hell...with this lake we could not even confirm there were any fish in there!

Anyway....we found the crappie so the rumours Swen had heard were right. They were close to shore among fallen trees between 5' and 15'FOW. Small jigs and minnows for the first couple, then we switched to powerbait micro tubes, with the occasional leech and night crawler used too.

Half way throughhe morning Swen suggested we head off at around 1pm to try our luck at Scout Bay on Lac Seul for some walleye....lol....sounded good to me...so 3 fish short of 1 person's crappie limit"i did not want to keep any as i had just had a feed of crappie 2 days previous) we headed up the road for 1/2 an hour to Lac Seul.

I don’t know what happened....but in 3 hours of fishing we caught 2 walleye...Swen in fact did not catch anything.... :blink::dunno: :dunno: :mellow: ON LAC SEUL???????? what the hell!!!!

I have never had such awful fishing on Lac Seul before. Ok...so it was a 'new Lake" situation as I’d never fished that area before....but I’m pretty good at sniffing out a walleye by process of elimination.

This area had all the usual fish holding structure to choose from too. There was nice deep water, deep water near islands with varying drop off gradients. We found sand bars with deep water on one side and shallower rockier on the other, mid water structure, mid range depth windswept shore (nice westerlies all day too) hell you name it we tried it, the only thing stopping us getting further out was not wanting to get caught in big water with a 9.9hp in a 14'.

At least when we got back we heard from everyone at the landing that they had had their worst days fishing that day...phew....made the experience a little less humbling....but still...humbled was what i felt like.

NICE LANDING AT LAKE 'X'

IMG_4239.jpg

THE WEATHER IMPROVED, WIND DIED RIGHT DOWN JUST AS WE LAUNCHED

IMG_4240.jpg

SWEN GOT HIS FIRST EVER CRAPPIE

IMG_4228.jpg

LOTS OF REALLY LITTLE ONES

IMG_4226.jpg

A FEW BASS AND PIKE WERE CAUGHT TOO

IMG_4235.jpg

LEFT AFTER 2 HOURS OR SO TO PURSUE WALLEYE

IMG_4238.jpg

HERE'S THE VIDEO FROM THE CRAPPIE LAKE

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jSu3ve2F_WA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

AND HERE'S THE BETTER OF THE 2 WALLEYE I GOT LATER ON

IMG_4242.jpg

that is about the biggest thing I hate about living here in the SW no small lakes I have the choice of two great lakes and LSC and two big rivers with anything I want to catch but I sure do miss them lakes like that crappie one just pop in for a few hours then head to the next. Very nice going on the crappie they are not always that easy to get nice to see ya found them that easy.

Nice goin'.

I fished two new lakes today in search of walters with nothing to show for it aside from a few jacks. Labour day weekend is just about the slowest time of the year for most fish, not to mention insanely busy :wallbash:

Bring on the cool temps :thumbsup_anim:

New lake for me yesterday... Three walleye, one pike, one bass and panfish.

That Tacoma is exactly the truck I wish I had... Man they are sweet and reliable.

Nice goin'.

I fished two new lakes today in search of walters with nothing to show for it aside from a few jacks. Labour day weekend is just about the slowest time of the year for most fish, not to mention insanely busy :wallbash:

Bring on the cool temps :thumbsup_anim:

Yeah...i dunno what was happening out there, but i agree....bring on the fall.

I used to love new lakes...tomorrow, I'm going shooting instead of fishing

LOL...Dara...that is a very cryptic response.

that is about the biggest thing I hate about living here in the SW no small lakes I have the choice of two great lakes and LSC and two big rivers with anything I want to catch but I sure do miss them lakes like that crappie one just pop in for a few hours then head to the next. Very nice going on the crappie they are not always that easy to get nice to see ya found them that easy.

LOL...yeah...i was very worried about finding them too. Swen says to me at the landing..."you drive the boat.....you know what your doing and where to look" ....lol...i started to F$%$^ing laugh....but still had to drive his boat.

I love trying a new lake for the first time, figuring out where the little buggers are

It can be a mixed bag of emotions. But i also LOVE the challenge.

what a crappie report! lol...

I may just go crappie fishing now..

very crappie report....lol.

New lake for me yesterday... Three walleye, one pike, one bass and panfish.

That Tacoma is exactly the truck I wish I had... Man they are sweet and reliable.

That is Swen's truck...he is giving it to his youngest son next week....he hates it....lol.