Musky Hook Cutters, and split rings

K_F

didnt wanna hi-jack Matts thread, but its got me thinking.

I currently use cheap cutters (havent bought the knipex) and I find it really tough to cut some hooks that are deep in the throat. Its always doable - but, I wish my cutters were as long as my needlenose. Are longer mini bolt cutters on the market?

bought a set of these needlenose off a matco tool truck - best money ive spent on fishing tackle and highly reccomended....very stong.

http://www.gearwrench.com/catalog/pliers/double_x/

Also, split rings. The ones I have arent tapered in like some of the ones on my lures. Can anyone reccomend somewhere to get good split rings that are tapered in? They make for really easy changes. Am I looking at a trip to into JB's?

Ive looked around home and cant find them.

Any insight.

best advice I will give ya for your rings is head to WM and get a set of the split ring pliers they sell they are AMAZING and work better then my high $$$ ones. I have used the heavy stainless steel ones from reel pro AKA luremaking.com they are very good and strong I am not a fan of triple rings for crank baits as they some times mess up how the hooks hang.

best advice I will give ya for your rings is head to WM and get a set of the split ring pliers they sell they are AMAZING and work better then my high $$$ ones. I have used the heavy stainless steel ones from reel pro AKA luremaking.com they are very good and strong I am not a fan of triple rings for crank baits as they some times mess up how the hooks hang.

That's when I use the spro rings...

And I second the split ring pliers... Very very useful tool...

My guy at the tackle store made me buy split ring pliers today. We got to talking and he said "if you are going to musky fish you are going to need these" He started going around the store and grabbing thing and those pliers were one of those thing. Also spro split ring and treble hooks! I third the very very useful tool!!!

Looking at them today at the Lowe's in Hamilton, $47.99

And they work SOOO well. We had a guy (cabnet maker) working on some things at my folks place and his dog hook himself right through the nose tip with a hook in his truck. My dad went and got my knipix and the dog was fre is seconds, no yalping, no blood and the owner was VERY impressed. even more so with the price. these are reg. $100 in most musky shops or more.

And they work SOOO well. We had a guy (cabnet maker) working on some things at my folks place and his dog hook himself right through the nose tip with a hook in his truck. My dad went and got my knipix and the dog was fre is seconds, no yalping, no blood and the owner was VERY impressed. even more so with the price. these are reg. $100 in most musky shops or more.

What model do they have at Lowes?

Like Wayne, I also attach my Knipex to the boat 'cept I use a long coiled telephone cord. It coils up to nothing when not being used but can reach anywhere in the boat when needed. You can see them on the floor beside the drivers seat.

Those cutters are too darned expensive to drop in the drink.

Cnv1107.jpg

And FWIW, when trolling with rods in the holders, I also attach them to the boat with 4' wire cable incase they come outta the holders, which I have seen happen under the strain of huge baits.

Cnv2089-1.jpg

Edited by lew

Like Wayne, I also attach my Knipex to the boat 'cept I use a long coiled telephone cord. It coils up to nothing when not being used but can reach anywhere in the boat when needed. You can see them on the floor beside the drivers seat.

Those cutters are too darned expensive to drop in the drink.

Cnv1107.jpg

And FWIW, when trolling with rods in the holders, I also attach them to the boat with 4' wire cable incase they come outta the holders, which I have seen happen under the strain of huge baits.

Cnv2089-1.jpg

Lew, where are you hooked on to on your Tekota?

Lew, where are you hooked on to on your Tekota?

Mike, use the same wire as the safety strap, make a loop a couple inches in diameter and join it with a couple crimps. I also use some shrink wrap on mine.

001-1.jpg

Loop it over the feet of your reel, then put the reel in the seat of the rod as always. Just be sure the loop is small enough that it can't fit over the top of the reel and come off.

002.jpg

It works really well and with the safety strap 4 or 5 feet long it doesn't get in the way and after you pick the rod up outta the holder you can simply unhook it.

'twas a little cool as well.... even got you to wear a coat!

lewa.jpg

That was a fun day Wayne that I'll remember for a long time :thumbsup_anim:

I drove up to your place and it was snowing like crazy all the way up, then when we hit the water we could see everything was snow covered on one side of Midland Harbor and bare as a bone on the other side :lol:

Great set up lew...

I really like that idea of attaching the wire to the rods... Thanks a lot... Now I have something to do today in this crappy weather

Your more than welcome Mike, it's an idea I got a few years ago from Richard Collins, a great musky guide on the Ottawa River.

Pretty cheap insurance to keep the expensive rods & reels from taking a header into the lake.