More land restriction

Millhouse2020

Sultan isn't closed to all the lakes. Obviously Biscotasing and Ramsey are accessable as well as scores of other smaller lakes. The fly in lakes have restricted access which has been noted is a good thing.

Never mind access to the lakes anyway, what if they simply closed the road to anyone using it?

I saved a lot of time using the Sultan road last week enroute to Chapleau. Anyone who currently uses that road is doing so out of E.B. Eddy's generosity.

We obviously have two completely different outlooks here because I see most (not all, but most) of these restrictions as a good.

They're protecting a resource, one which I enjoy using. They'll make me more inclined to head up north on vacation, not less inclined.

I really can't understand why you think restricting access to public land is a good thing

So you trek all over northern Ontario but you live in the south.

You can't understand from down there...same as the rule maker can't understand from down there.

Excuse me? ....shakes head..... wow.

As Dr said, they are ripping culverts out on 38 road and McDonald creek road and closing it. There isn't a fly in lake or outfitter lake within 100 miles of that area. Actually it is mostly ACR land of which the ACR was handed 100 years ago to build a railway. That was all free range land with ACR leases for cabins till 10 years ago when they sold off a few hundred thousand acres and it has now been all but closed to public access and the people driven from their cabins.

I'm with you on being against these types of restrictions. I've said it several times now.

The Ontario government is making a mess of the north because of a few special interest groups. Many industries have been decimated by progress and many by government intervention as well.

We don't care that the outfitters have the best lakes....we want unrestricted access to ALL public land, otherwise, it isn't public land...it is private.

There is no difference between accessing a lake by ATV, train, truck or plane...you don't pedal a plane...they have motors too.

The difference is some people think that the good lakes should be either difficult or expensive.

A public free for all on the fly in lakes would decimate the fishery and the industry, that's the bottom line.

I don't think that can be argued.

Don't you see the need to protect the resource?

For what it's worth there is no such thing as any public lake on crown land, including fly in lakes, that aren't open free and clear for every citizen to use.

The MNR is restricting the use of mostly new roads that come close to the outfitters lakes.

No one is stopping anyone from using alternate means to access these lakes.

If they're not difficult or expensive to get to, do you really believe the quality of the fishery will remain the same? Not likely.

Some restrictions are a good thing. It preserves something precious for future generations. Can't you see that?

It was said in that article and quoted by me that 10% of the lakes in the region are being used by fly in operators. 10%.

Don't you see the benefit of protecting such a small percentage of the resource for our kids and grand kids?

Why don't you ask your neighbours the MacLachlan's how they feel about the situation?

So why don't we close simcoe and rice and the muskokas to public access, you want to access walk to ur cottage or pay a lodge to go, otherwise tough, the lodge is losing money on ur free for all, close all boat launches, beaches, parks, heck it's for the good of the fishery can't u see that,

A little extreme but sane principle, except it's not actually happening in most people's "neck of the woods" out of sight out of mind I guess

I guess I'm not explaining myself clearly, sultan road is open to the public for Ramsey and biscotti and the likes but if ur intention is to access a tourism lake this road is off limits to you

Anyway thanks all especially solo for the honest and civil discussion, I'll leave it at that, I think we're going in circles and I find it difficult to say what I mean through a keyboard, all I ask is anybody who cares about the issue in the slightest bit to inform themselves before it's too late

Thx

The roads that are being closed were built with our tax dollars

Better rethink that as most of the roads in question were built by the lumber companies so they can extract the lumber from the area. The gubberment just sold the access and timber rights to those companies.

Better rethink that as most of the roads in question were built by the lumber companies so they can extract the lumber from the area. The gubberment just sold the access and timber rights to those companies.

The paper companies in this area were all paid to build those roads,the prov gov't pays so much per kilometer.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

it's too bad you can't win fights with sarcasm and petty insults. then you actually would always be right. :stretcher:

Edited by Dr. Salvelinus

I guess the other 90% of the lakes aren't good enough for the poor and destitute.

You're right....the best 10% should be set aside for the rich and priveledged...they are special people and deserve it.

Excuse me? ....shakes head..... wow.

I'm with you on being against these types of restrictions. I've said it several times now.

A public free for all on the fly in lakes would decimate the fishery and the industry, that's the bottom line.

I don't think that can be argued.

Don't you see the need to protect the resource?

For what it's worth there is no such thing as any public lake on crown land, including fly in lakes, that aren't open free and clear for every citizen to use.

The MNR is restricting the use of mostly new roads that come close to the outfitters lakes.

No one is stopping anyone from using alternate means to access these lakes.

If they're not difficult or expensive to get to, do you really believe the quality of the fishery will remain the same? Not likely.

Some restrictions are a good thing. It preserves something precious for future generations. Can't you see that?

It was said in that article and quoted by me that 10% of the lakes in the region are being used by fly in operators. 10%.

Don't you see the benefit of protecting such a small percentage of the resource for our kids and grand kids?

Why don't you ask your neighbours the MacLachlan's how they feel about the situation?

You seem to be all for the "wilderness experience" and I'm with you on that. the canoe trips are a true wilderness experience. you know that, you have been on enough of them.

I'm all for protecting the wilderness as well. thats why we have LSSP and Algonquin. True wilderness experience parks. No motorized transport whatsoever. Not, no motorized transport except for airplanes. No motorized travel. I would be all for a few more provincial parks with no motorized travel.

problem is, they are setting aside areas for special groups.

These groups just want a special experience for themselves. They are willing to pay big bucks to get away from crowds. Well I don't think the Government should set aside public land for special groups. local taxpaying citizens have been using many of these areas for years and all of a sudden they are not allowed access any more. I really don't get it. They really aren't talking about a lot of the flyin lakes either. Locals don't bother with the flyin lakes a lot. There are way better places with lots less fishing pressure. These are other lakes they have fished for years.

We are being restricted from using a lot of our land and i just can't see the reasoning behind it. If it was to protect fishing they could change the rules and just close certain lakes on a rotating basis.

These guys have a plan and the little guy isn't included in it...kinda scary