Inexpensive Vacations

MJL

This week I learned that my trip to Ocean Falls BC was canceled for July/August – No saltwater fly fishing for salmon for me. My uncle just couldn't get time off during the summer so my dad and I aren't able to use his cottage there. Gutted as ever - almost akin to winning a million dollars and having someone tell you it was all a joke. Not sure when I'll ever have the chance to get free time in the foreseeable future so this August will be "the summer of Mike".

I’m looking for suggestions for inexpensive 5-7 day vacations in August. As much as I love the fishing in Ontario, I would like to do some traveling before I become a total workaholic/slave to the corporate giants. I’m asking now in the hopes of applying for a pass-port and having it in time for August if I need it.

I’m open to suggestions: Sockeye and pink salmon on the Fraser in BC, Barracuda in Cuba, Striped bass in Boston, Whatever (It will also be my vacation from carp and steelhead). I’m hoping to keep it under $1000 including transportation and accommodation + whatever crazy taxes I may need to pay. I won’t have access to a car so driving down to Florida won’t be an option.

Any help is much appreciated

Thanks

Mike

You can fly to Florida cheap enough, especially in the summer, rent a car and a hotel. It'll be the off season so should be cheaper. Check out Expedia.com for other locals. Mepps might be albe to help you with BVI but I'm pretty sure that's fairly expensive. Actually, you could get to BVI from Florida, and I think it's not too bad price wise. Spend a couple of days in Florida, hop over to BVI for a couple of days, then back to Florida for a day or two and you're gold :)

Maureen

If you fly out of Buffalo you can get return tickets to Puerto Rico for well under $200. If you like camping, you can stay for practically nothing - if you are adventurous you can stay for free and set up tent where ever you like each night. Puerto Rico is very close to the Virgin islands which has incredible shore fishing oportunites, and no one will hassle you if you set up camp on a beach. From shore you have access to sharks, cudas, jacks, huge tarpon and more.

I havent fished PR, but I highly recomend the BVIs.

Edited by mepps

Why not take a look @ Miramichi? Way cheaper then BC, great fishing and is alot closer to home so to speak...

I googled Miramichi Fishing and came up with a tons of sites

Here is one such site.

http://www.flyfishingatlanticsalmon.com/

The Miramichi is Famous man give it a serious look

Good Luck!

Gerritt.

Why can't yer Uncle let you and Dad have the key to the cottage anyway?? :dunno:

It's a little more complicated than just getting the key. He lives in Whitecourt AB and we would need his 20+ft boat + truck to get to Ocean Falls. We were planning on visiting Whitecourt AB and then driving over with him to BC to do some salmon fishing. We would've driven from Whitecourt, AB to Bella Coola, BC and boated the rest of the way to Ocean falls (no direct road in). There is a ferry service to Ocean Falls but without your own boat, you're pretty much stuck on land for a week. There are a couple guides in the town but at $750+/day, it gets a little expensive fast. There's also the fact that neither my dad or I have any experience with towing a boat (and a very large one at that) - Couple that with the fact we would be driving through mountainous terrain - Not the easiest thing to do for a beginner.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

The Fraser and Vancouver Island are interesting options, that one could do a frugal trip on.....if one is careful. Camping and a few B & B's. It would be neat if you could fish for sturgeon.

Another option would be to look up a flyin in Northern Ontario. Most seem quite reasonable compared to BC prices.

Just a few thoughts.

outdoorguy61