Has anyone been to Vimy? (NF)

Andy

When I was ten years old, my mother took me to a war cemetery in Holland and seeing the endless rows of crosses marking the graves of Canadians and others left a lasting impression. Some high schools are now sending students overseas and I sometimes wonder if instead of going someplace warm some winter, I should go over to France and Holland with some of my family and take it all in. As I get older, I find myself more and more appreciative of the sacrifices made by others. (My parents are from the Netherlands and remember a little of the war) Has anyone here been to the Vimy monument and surrounding area? Your thoughts? Andy

Check out CBC tomorrow there is a special on Vimy at 9:30am. I watched a bit of some other coverage last night, I think it is great that they have the biggest high-school field trip ever in history travelling to France to honour the soldiers from the Great War. Each student was assigned a soldier to research and write a summary of their interpretation of the life of that soldier. Then they placed each students work into a time capsule to be buried at the Vimy memorial site.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/vimy/

Tony

My Grandfather spent 4 years in the trenches in WW1 with the British Army and some of his stories were just un-believable to say the least. There aren't many people alive today that could even begin to comprehend the horrors that those guys went thru.

I got to visit Vimy Ridge back in 1985. Seems such a long time ago now but it was something to see. There was not a bit of flat land there at all from all the bombs and trenches in the area. So much history in one spot, I got to tour alot of France and see alot of the war fields and shores. It was well worth the time if your into any war history at all. I'll see if I can scan a few pics from the trip and post them later.

I am also Dutch, and have heard countless stories from my Oma & Opa about wars and why they chose Canada to immigrate too, it was because of the way Canadians held themselves my Opa would say... I never quite understood what that meant till many years later when I asked him to elaborate "define held themselves Opa" He must of went on for hours about the bravery and compassion the Canadian Troops showed the people of Holland, The people in Holland LOVE Canadians still to this day because of the way Canadians "held themselves" during their time of crisis.

There is a reason why we as Canadians are Loved world wide.... it be because of the acts of the people that chose to suit up and fight for what they felt was a just cause.

To this day we are seen as Peace Keepers and are respected for it.

I have more then a few in my family that served in the various forces. For one reason

To give back to the Country that provided to them.

Gerritt.

I have grandfathers that have served in both, but for the Queen and America. One died before I was old enough to know him and the other never wanted to talk about it - just wanted to watch endless movies and documentaries on both wars. Needless to say, it would be nice one day to see Vimy.

I was too young for my grandfather to tell me anything about the time he spent at Vimy Ridge. My mother and aunts said he didnt talk much about it anyway. Very brutal place to be. I have a standing invitation to visit a relative in Belgium who lives near Flanders. Hope to be able to take him up on it someday and get a better understanding of what they went through.

An interesting thing is that a lot of famous people have been right there at Vimy memorial, countless memorial services and visits by King and Queens. Hitler visited there more than once. This as you know was a 1st world war memorial. Imagine the history, imagine standing right there where many had been years before, looking at the same area, place, or memorial ground. Its very aw inspiring.

It would be a great thing to see in person. I think it would be a great thing for you to experience. Take lots of pics and dont forget to paste them here.

Remember, a lot of those men were just boys, young healthy boys who never even had a chance at life. What a sad time for all. Even for the axis.

Lew,

Have to agree -- lost 2 great uncles in WW1. The horrors all the soldiers suffered over there are hard to comprehend. Most died of infectious disease vs bulllets ... not sure which is worse. My grandfathers both served there as well. One lost his twin brother, the other lost his brother. My grandmother said that until the day he died he would occasionally relive those days in his sleep and wake up yelling about pulling the cannons with the horses.

Anyway -- most of us are from a generation that never had to participate in that hell -- thank God for that.

Best to all this Easter.

Hey Andy: I stopped at Vimmy Ridge back in 1997 on my tour through Europe. Very large monument there honoring those who gave their lives. It must have been one heck of a battle going on. Although they have livestock grazing there now, you can still see the craters from the shells. Very close, you can tour the trenches that all the troops had dug. You can only picture in your mind what it was like during the heat of the battle .... really makes you sit back and think. They don't let visitors on the battlefield as there is still live ordinance that could explode. I heard stories of livestock triggering one every once in while. Quite the sombering place, but I'm glad we were able to stop.

I've never been, but I do have a cousin there right now that is there with her school. apparently in todays ceremony she'll be one of two people handing the flag to the queen. She's quite excited about it all, and is a huge history buff.

Maureen

As a member of the Royal Canadian Legion and to have the opportunity to travel to veterans and service clubs, it is an Honor to be around and have the privilege to know some of these people who as most of you have already stated, contributed to what we as Canadians are today. If one day the opportunity arises I would love to visit.