motor issues is this possible

skinny

I have a 1966 40 horse evinrude and twice now I have had issues out on lake with it. Both times I was out the water started out calm and I was all over . then the waves came up so the boat was ponding a bit and I was runing hard. That is when the motor would quit. when looked at the carb would be drooling fuel. acting like a stuck float or needle and seat. after thinking about this I'm wondering if the float level is set to low and then the float once pounding pulls the needle to the point of bind in the open position.

The last time I had this issue when I got home and pulled the carb. I didn't see any think wrong in the carb but may have over looked this just figuring the carb was drained

Yep, you got a stuck needle.

Used to happen all the time with the 30hp Merc Sea Pros we had up at Great Bear in the mid 90's.

The heavy bobbing in the waves causes the needle to pop out of the seat.

Our fix was to pop off the cover and rap the float bowl with the handle of a screwdriver.

It would fix the issue every time. The issue usually rearedit's ugly head when traveling into the waves due to the steepness of the front of the wave and the sharp drop when cresting the wave.

Remove the carb. and pull the needle out. Clean out the the carb using gumout from the fuel hose hook up and spray thru. Then check the tip of the needle for bent or debris. Re assemble the carb and hook a clear hose to the drain port and run upwards to the top of the carb. Replace fuel line from tank to carb with ethanol proof line. then pump the ball till it gets hard. Observe the level of the fuel in the clear hose if it is above the float bowl then bend the tang up to close it off earlier. If the ball doesn't get hard and fuel flows then recheck for debris and bend tang up to get it to close off. If the level of the fuel in the hose is more than 1/4 inch from the top of the float bowl then bend tang down to allow more fuel. Most of the evinrude carbs are set by removing the float bowl and turning upside down the float should be resting 90 degrees level from the pivot point as a rough guideline. Don't go crazy on the bending I suspect it is debris from the fuel tank. BTW if you do not have an inline filter put on in place before you pump up the ball for the first time.

Art

carb had a complete kit and rebuild last fall (done correctly) body was dipped in cleaner and new parts used other than the float (out of stock)but I did't have the true spec on float set so I guessed. I put a inline filter on after the first time the motor quit on me and flooded out. I'm guessing the float drop is too much for full out run on rough water.thanks for the sugestions

carb had a complete kit and rebuild last fall (done correctly) body was dipped in cleaner and new parts used other than the float (out of stock)but I did't have the true spec on float set so I guessed. I put a inline filter on after the first time the motor quit on me and flooded out. I'm guessing the float drop is too much for full out run on rough water.thanks for the sugestions

Last Falls rebuild is a winters storage away reclean it their is varnish or debris keeping the needle from reseating. I rebuilt all 6 of my carbs on my evinrude drove to Canada ran 5 minutes and smelled fuel. Pulled Carb rack and found I had shaved a piece of rubber when I installed the hoses it was twice the size of a hair but it was enough to make me redue the job. Time frames mean nothing when it is mechanical.

Art

ok I had look at carb I see nothing wrong but something must be

there is no bindage on the needle and seat

I sunk the float for about 2 hr in fuel and it floated fine after

just not sure hate have it do it a third time

is there a drain on the float bowl? Can he not just test the float level with a piece of fuel line attached to the drain? by lifting and lowering the line you can tell where the fuel level is in the carb.You can then take up the slack in the float so it wont pop out again. I'm not to sure if it would work on a marine engine but I have used that method on my motorcycles in the past. Correct me if I'm wrong and I'm quite sure someone will...lol

Good luck I hope you get it resolved

yout 66 rude was never put together with ethanol fuels in mind, check your carb and your fuel lines/ tank for sediment/ contamination from fuel system components breaking down.

also make sure all covers and deflectors are ok it is possible your flooding it out with water, without being there it's tough to say, goodluck and let us know what you find out

well I saw no sediment in the carb. I have te proper spec for the float setting now it wasn't really off. and I fid no bindage in the needle and seat I also find it hard to think after playing with it that the float could drop low enough to allow the needle to tip and jam .

Did I metion that both time this has happened it has been a bit rough and I was pounding some waves

Does the motor idle but die when you give it fuel?

I believe you will find this motor's carb does not have a high speed needle but a fixed orifice instead. Only one needle & seat and this for the low speed settings. If your high speed orifice is clogged it needs to be cleaned out. You could try seafoam first but most likely it will require dis-assembly & cleaning.

I have a 1967 40hp Johnson & I have seen this before.