Oh boy, did I ever pass up a deal. NOT! NF

Dave Bailey

Just had one of those door to door energy salespeople ring the bell. My wife handles the bills for that, but he said it was perfectly okay if I signed. Riiiiight... What kind of energy company allows anyone at the house to sign a contract on his clipboard? He wouldn't leave a card, but he had a tag around his neck that said 'Summitt Energy" so I punched "summitt energy canada scam" into Google and got 15,100,000 hits. Some of the stories you find at that link are frightening. Beware.

I used to do that.. It's a good deal.....only if you research the company first. The one i used to work with seemed respectable, but i heard horror stories about other companies. Only lasted 6 months there and got tired of it. Do your homework and you get a great deal.

yeah they came to my house

2 seconds into it I knew it was a scam..but I played along somewhat...

they insisted I had to sign or I would not get gas anymore...I told him he was an idiot and it was the worst prepared scam I had ever heard...he yelled at me and said if I didn't sign I wouldn't get gas

I threatened to beat him to a pulp and said to him " you dumb (insert a dirty word here), I don't even have gas..we are on oil here"...ah good times..LOL

yeah they came to my house

2 seconds into it I knew it was a scam..but I played along somewhat...

they insisted I had to sign or I would not get gas anymore...I told him he was an idiot and it was the worst prepared scam I had ever heard...he yelled at me and said if I didn't sign I wouldn't get gas

I threatened to beat him to a pulp and said to him " you dumb (insert a dirty word here), I don't even have gas..we are on oil here"...ah good times..LOL

ouch.. yeah that's illegal and remind me never to get on your bad side :P

Some guy from a similar (but slightly more reputable) company, I forget which one but it wasn't Summitt, came to my door and I had just finished watching some stupid documentary called End of Suburbia (it's about peak oil) and I was convinced that gas prices were about to skyrocket. On top of that, I knew a few friends who had signed up when rates were lower and they were now really benefiting from their contract, so I signed up and you know what? Since day 1, I paid way more than anyone in town who didn't sign up. Several years later, I was still paying far more than anyone buying direct from Union Gas.

I ended up getting out of the contract by moving into a place where I didn't pay the bills (my parents' place - it was only for a month in between a move, but they didn't know that). I'll never sign up again. It was a waste of money, and breaking a contract requires paying out big bucks or proving that you moved to a location where you don't pay the bills. I'll take my chances with Union - and over two years since the move, I'm STILL paying less than I would be if I were still with the contractor.

It's a big problem in East York. They pray on the elderly. We have received notices in the mail about them. We only moved in a few moths ago, and have not had anyone come to our door. If they did I would call the cops and follow them to get the most info possible, hopefully watch them get picked up and arrested. Just deplorable, and in many cases illegal. The big scam here had to do with switching out a furnace.

My parents got caught in a gas door to door scam a few years ago. They didn't even realize it! One day my mothers asks me what does this mean on my bill? I looked at it and said you're on a plan from a private company and the rest of your bill is to the gas company. You're paying more than I am for gas! They could not remember signing a contract with anyone but did remember a guy at the door who asked for their gas bill. He must have copied their name address and whatever else he needed and they were screwed.

I called them to enquire but got nowhere, then called union gas and was told to call them back and ask them to produce a copy of a contract within 2 weeks. Did that and did not get a copy, no surprise. Called them up, spoke with the person I had previously contacted and told them to cancel the deal as they did not have a contract to provide gas and that was that.

So if anyone asks you for your gas or hydro bill so they can compare don't do it. This guy forged a deal and they were paying for an entire contract term and then it went into automatic renewal. That's when I caught it because my mother finaly took notice and didn't understand who this other party was and why the cost per metre3 was so high.

Yep they prey on the elderly.

My ex got us (now me) caught up in the Summit Energy crap hole. She said no I won't sign anything until my husband gets home from work. The guy says "I need to prove to my boss I was here so can you just sign this spot for me?" Next bill o get is 25% higher and I'm locked in for 5 years!! I called after we split and they wanted $1500 to break the contract! Never sign anything at the door. If you want something go to them and get it. And please check in on any seniors you know to make sure they're not getting caught in these!

Jesse