First report

mattp33

Well finally got out to do some serious fishing from friday until tuesday. We headed up to sparrow lake to a friends cottage. We left at 11 on friday and made a few stops on the way up. Traffic was horrible going through barrie. They were calling for t-storms sunday but they seemed to pass us by to the south. we had pretty good weather. I wasn't sure about how the fishing was going to be, I hate fishing post cold front conditions. We were hunting for some bass for fun and walleye for food. The bass were tough to come by but the walleye were always biting. Not a night went by without having some walleye action and dinner. I finnaly hooked up to a nice bass on tuesday. I think they started to come off the structure they have been clinging to all weekend. My girl friend even got into the walleye fishing and schooled me a couple of night. This bass a got in about 4 FOW, he was sitting in the middle of a small isolated pocket of lilly pads. I pitched a senko into the middle and got a little tug, when i set tho there was nothing there. I threw right back in and let it settle, gave it a twitch then WHAM! it was on! He wrapped himself up in a few lilly pad stalks, as i was fighting with him I had this really strange SNAP! Then I noticed that the tip of my st croix legend tournement had broke? what the hell? I finally got him in. He had a fin sticking out of his gullet so I gave it a slight pull. Long and behold he had a 6 inch sunfish digesting in his stomach. The thing was so big that the body was in his stomach and the tail fin was sticking out into his mouth. What was he thinking?

severn2011081600072.th.jpg

severn2011081500070.th.jpg

Thanks for reading my first report! Hope it was ok

Sparrow is on fire this year!

Oh ya almost forgot. I had heard about dog fish but never caught 1 until this weekend. We were trolling worm harnesses for walleye and I hooked into at least a 20lbs dog fish. What an ugly fish, but what a fight! I thought I had the mother of all walleye. He had a minnow rig still in his mouth. I did him a favor and pulled that out as well.

yeah its a heart breaker. I am going to warranty it as it has a life time but the down time on the rod will be a few weeks at best. I have a fleet of them and this have never happened to any of them. I just picked this 1 up last week and its my first time with line on it. MUST be a defect! (I hope) I shed a few tears for the rod back at the cottage.

Oh ya almost forgot. I had heard about dog fish but never caught 1 until this weekend. We were trolling worm harnesses for walleye and I hooked into at least a 20lbs dog fish. What an ugly fish, but what a fight! I thought I had the mother of all walleye. He had a minnow rig still in his mouth. I did him a favor and pulled that out as well.

That must have been quite a fish, the Ontario record is 15.1 pounds, caught in none other than......wait for it...... Dog Lake.

I was told that a dog fish is also known as a Bowfin, often mistaken for snakehead. I can tell you they put up a wicked fight! I took my rod into a local shop today and they said its no problem to get a new 1 for me. Just takes 2-3 weeks. The boat traffic is crazy, always something coming out of the servern of going in. The mouth is the best place and where we got most of out walters.