Mini Fridge not working NF

Hooked

A friend of mine at work was going to throw out his mini fridge because it wasn't working, I said I'll take it and try to fix it. Would be a great edition in my office. The problem with it, nothing happens when you plug it in, no noise, no cooling, nothing. I am thinking after that thunder storm we had here last week must of tripped something? I was checking the schematics on the back and was thinking maybe the Overload Protector was tripped (no button on it to untrip it), or maybe this PTC Relay thingy is fried? Any ideas? I recall Rick posting something similar to this last year.

Specs

GE

Model: GMR02BANACW

DO NOT turn it up side down, you could only do that to absorption fridges(the ones use propane or elect heating element)

a regular household fridge which has a compressor also contains oil and refrigerant and by flipping it up side down you will most likely flood the evaporator with oil and that is NOT GOOD.

start trouble shooting the simple stuff like the plug, if you have continuity meter check for it at the plug, make sure there is a reading between the two small prongs and NO reading between the the two smaller prongs to ground(longer rounded prong).LEAVE IT UN-PLUGGED and

open the door and remove thermostat, careful not to break the small tube going to the evaporator(ice box), turn the adjustment knob to all the way clockwise(max cold) remove the two wires from the stat and check for continuity on t/stat terminals, if you get no reading its a faulty t/stat, replace with a new one. if there is continuity put everything back the way it was.

now the problem is most likely with your overload, starting relay or the compressor it self and that requires a bit of skill better be left for a qualified person.

Good advice Nanuk,another hvac /refer guy on the board?The problem with the semi hermetic refers is that they are pretty much disposable.Good luck with it.

Joe

I think you meant sealed hemetic,

yup! disposable technology like almost everything else these days.

Seeing as you got help can I add to your NF post.

My high efficiency furnace just puked. Runs but doesn't ignite so it shuts down. getting cold in here. Turned the power off to reset it but still won't ignite. What do I do before calling a technician?

Dan

How old is the furnace? turn it OFF and check if your air filter is clean?

Make sure the drain from the furnace(combustion chamber NOT air cond) to the floor is clear, if you see a cylinder like tube on your drain, remove it, and try restarting the furnace again.

Clean filter

2002 (Dec)

Varified path clear from pump to condenser trap. Light blow bubbled trap no problem but leaves a rubber stain on lips :wacko:

LED sequence indicates ignition lockout.

Guess it's time to pull out the credit card.

55 degrees and the Wife looks frisky. :w00t:

Thanks guys. The ignitor was pooched. $200 with everything included and I didn't destroy anything poking around :lol:

You did OK chilli. Besides the pressure switch, that would have been my guess. I stayed out of the conversation because of the safety concerns of offering trouble shooting advice to gas burning appliances over the internet. I would have tried to light the pilot light or burner with a match and if it indeed lit up and ran through a cycle, then there's your problem. The problem with newer high efficient furnaces is that there's lots to go wrong with them. And repairs aren't cheap. $200 isn't too bad I suppose. Have a warm, safe night.