suick help

peter23

hey guys i am quite new to muskie fishing so i would like some help. i use a massive amount of lures but one lure i barley use is a suick. everyone says it is an amazing bait bait im not sure how or when to tune it, what depths to fish it, and how to fish it? im very interested in trying out this lure. please help.

The suicks I bought have a picture on the back of the package that shows how to use it. I cast it out there, and with long backward motions, pull it forward. This causes it to dive. When you pause the lure starts to rise. I try and reel and keep the line as taut as possible as I swing the rod back to the front and I repeat. A few I have caught have hit it on the pause, so it's important there isn't too much slack in the line. I've had muskie take it from behind as well as torpedo it from the side.

I cant figure out how to make it dive deep, so I generally use it in under 10 feet of water. I have trolled with it as well with the same motions, but haven't had luck that way yet.

I'm sure there are other ways to use it...maybe others can chime in here...

suick and dive and rise jerkbaits in general are some of my favourite baits. they work great over rocks, the tops of weeds - easily backing out on the pause.

they come in weighted and unweighted flavours. I prefer the weighted ones myself but I dont fish really skinny water. To me, the best suick is a waterlogged suick. ;) Some people add weights to their lure.

don't be afraid of deeper water and suicks. even 30', look at your 15' boat, imagine twice the lenght, imagine a 48" inch fish.. to traverse 30' is nothing for that fish - three kicks of the tail and it's all over your bait.

Huge pike can't stand watching a Suick sitting still. Throw it into 2-4 fow at ice out and let it sit. Watch for a V or a boil, feel weight, and then hang on. It works. Also give it a chance in September & October.

I'm not saying to ignore the instructions on the back of the box, but try what I described. A little wave action or a slight twitch could lead to a nice reward.

There was a time not very long ago when I ALWAYS had a Suick clipped onto my jerkbait rod and got lots of fish on them. I got into Sledges a couple years ago and find they produce even better so my Suicks have been sorta semi retired lately although I still use them sometimes when I want to go a bit deeper over the weeds.

In the warm waters of summer I like to work them very fast and erratic with short pauses in between and then in the cold waters of October & November it's loooong slow sweeps, again with pauses. As Raf mentioned, the best baits are the ones that have lost the paint and absorb water. Just kinda gives them a more natural appearance going thru the water.

Their an excellent wooden bait and have been around for quite awhile and will probably be hear for many years to come.

I like to weight mine to get them down deeper and if any one is interested it's very easy to do.

Cut a section out of the belly and insert a couple small wheel weights

Cnv1649-2.jpg

Cnv1650-1.jpg

Cnv1651-1.jpg

Fill the holes with 5 minute epoxy and touch up with a bit of paint. Don't worry about being fussy cause the muskies don't care.

Cnv1654-1.jpg

It gets them deeper but the extra weight, plus the absorbed water makes them more controlable and easier to do what you want with them and IMHO just makes them work that much better.

suick and dive and rise jerkbaits in general are some of my favourite baits. they work great over rocks, the tops of weeds - easily backing out on the pause.

they come in weighted and unweighted flavours. I prefer the weighted ones myself but I dont fish really skinny water. To me, the best suick is a waterlogged suick. ;) Some people add weights to their lure.

don't be afraid of deeper water and suicks. even 30', look at your 15' boat, imagine twice the lenght, imagine a 48" inch fish.. to traverse 30' is nothing for that fish - three kicks of the tail and it's all over your bait.

Water logged is the best for sure. With new ones, I scribe a few lines in the bottom of them and sit them in my fosh tank a few days before my trips. By the end of a 5 day trip, our suicks can run as deep as 8-10ft. Seem to be deadly at that depth.

Suicks will produce when nothing else will...

As with all wood baits each one has its own charactor, I have 3 blaze orange dark gold side suicks, each one is different, one has had its ass chewed so much the paint is wore off it, hooks and cotter pins have been replaced multiple times, and its absorbes so much water I can verticle jig with it

One thing I do on some is to paint the metal tail black, when fishing in bright sunny skies to eliminate the reflection, on overcast days I use the natural unpainted tail

Also as ccmt mentioned they are great for speed trolling as is the bobbie bait and the sledge, with the suicks I remove the back hook, and add a hook half way betwwen the middle and back hooks, using a 2 hook setup instead of the factory 3, makes unhooking easier and also less damage to the fish, and 2 hooks vitually eliminate fouling up on the metal tail piece and the 3rd hook which is removed, also prefer the weighted models myself, adding more weight until their bouyancy is neutral on the pause

with the suicks I remove the back hook, and add a hook half way betwwen the middle and back hooks, using a 2 hook setup instead of the factory 3,

I do something similar with my Double D's Steve, 'cept I eliminate the centre hook completely and then replace the front hook with one 2 sizes bigger. Improves the action IMO plus makes the neutral buoyancy better.