Redstone Lake lakers

boatdrinks

Was up at Redstone lake a few years back in July trying to find my first laker. I know that summer can be tough and was fishing with a 3way swivel set up and minnows at around 40-50ft deep. unfortunately we had no luck all week and ended up bass fishing just to put fish in the boat. Im heading up with the family this August 6th and would like to take another go at it. Any suggestions? Because I didn't have any luck last time its kind of a mission this year. Id even be willing to take someone out with us to show us the ropes for an evening of fishing.

I fish the lake up the road but havent fished Redstone. Sunday I caught 2 good fish about 45 feet down in 60-70 feet. Both before 7 am slow trolling minnow baits. Look for 40-50 foot areas close to deep water, they can also suspend over deep water.

I'm surprised the 3-way setup didn't work....if you are POSITIVE that you were running at 40-50 feet....you should have been in the zone. I would try it again, with a couple different lures. Grab a Williams Dartee....my go to colours have been the silver ones with red/blue prism tape on them....2.5-3.5 inches long.

I find that a lot of flash really helps bring the lakers in...they see it from a long way off and they like to chase. Consider using a gangtroll with a spoon, swimbait or spin'n'glo at the back.

Also, try doubling the weight on the 3 way swivel and drag the whole presentation along bottom.

I agree with the Dartees (although white is my go to colour ... the KEY though is action ... check your trolling speed and tune (bend) the lure and adjust your speed until you get most erratic flutter ... and then .. change speeds and zig-zag often .. lakers are followers ... they will hang around behind your lure all day .. but a sudden flutter (casued by a speed change or a turn) very often triggers a strike.

Good luck and dont forget your camera.

Do you have a fish finder , if so find the deepest part of the lake and vertical jig them with a big jig.

That time of year 75% of the lakers will be in the deep basins not scattered like in the spring !

If they are not in the deep basin they will be close.

No finder then trolling like others said is a good bet but finding that deep water area is important !

Do you have a fish finder , if so find the deepest part of the lake and vertical jig them with a big jig.

That time of year 75% of the lakers will be in the deep basins not scattered like in the spring !

If they are not in the deep basin they will be close.

No finder then trolling like others said is a good bet but finding that deep water area is important !

Its a large lake and can be very deep in spots. If I remember correctly over 100 feet so you don't need to go that deep. I suggest getting a good chart of the lake so you don't troll aimlessly.

The good news is the bass fishing seems pretty good from my brief experience on the lake. Troll a minnow or minnow imitation bait and you can get into some larger smallies.

thanks! I was up there about 2 years ago and we caught a lot of smallies. Today I picked up a rig similar to a large crappie rig and several hookless spoons to hook up on the top and bottom with swivels. I was then thinking about hooking up a leader to the middle hook to trail the bait about 6 inches behind the rig. What size of hook is preferred for lakers? Im thinking this would be like a small gangtroll rig. The cottage were staying at is on redstone and close to the entrance to little redstone.