Spiny Water Flea

Nipfisher

http://www.nugget.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3210604

I found this to be a good read.

Spiny water flea campaign in works

Minnow study needed, Filion says

By DAVE DALE The Nugget

Posted 4 hours ago

Boaters are being asked to take the spiny water flea invasion seriously so they don't spread to places like Trout Lake.

The Ministry of Natural Resources issued a media release this week stating the flea, which gorge on zoo plankton, is already firmly entrenched in Lake Nipissing, Lake Temagami and almost 60 other inland lakes.

The Greater Nipissing Stewardship Council was at the waterfront Monday to show how boaters can clean and disinfect their vessels and equipment to stop the spread of invasive species, including Black Crappie, Round Goby and fish diseases.

Jean-Marc Filion, who has been studying the impact of the fleas in Lake Nipissing for more than a decade, said draining the bilge is just one step because the fleas can survive for days hidden inside crevices where drops of water remain.

Filion recommends adding a cap of bleach to a bucket of water and refilling the bilge to help kill the ones that cling behind.

Anglers are also urged to empty bait buckets on land or in the garbage, and bag aquatic plants for the trash. Boats, waders, ropes and gear should also be cleaned with hot water rinse, high-pressure spray or left in the sun to kill all hitch-hiking organisms.

"And always buy your bait where you fish," the council says in a media release.

Filion said Lake Nipissing's spiny water flea is changing the food chain from top to bottom.

It will likely be among the topics discussed today during a summit about Lake Nipissing's future hosted by Nipissing First Nation and City of North Bay at Nipissing University.

Filion said the best thing to do when a lake's ecosystem is in a state of flux is to monitor the various elements to track impacts. His Lake Nipissing Partners in Conservation study last year documented the near collapse of the zoo plankton population.

"We found out that by the end of June, there were so many fleas in the lake, almost all of the zoo plankton was consumed," he said, leaving only enough in the deeper, darker sections to repopulate.

He said small fish such as new perch hatch are left with almost nothing to eat, so they have begun eating snails and may fly nymphs.

The lack of a big shad fly emergence from Lake Nipissing in recent years could be a resulting impact, Filion said.

"It may be due to other creatures (which normally feed on zoo plankton) targeting whatever food supply was left," he said, noting even the spiny water flea population dies off when there's not enough zoo plankton left.

"We're left with a semi-aquatic desert of small life," he said, with perch having to eat what's left of the spiny water flea to get through July.

"They used to eat minnows," Filion said, suggesting that the MNR study the minnow population in Lake Nipissing to see if it's struggling.

"This is probably the largest lake effect (caused by spiny water flea) in all of North America," he said.

Scientists tracking the fleas suggesting the local experience is the most severe they've come across, he said.

Filion said walleye, which used to eat minnows and small perch exclusively, are shifting their diet to smelt and small herring, while in the central part of the lake they're eating spiny water fleas.

He said minnow spawn in the latter part of June when zoo plankton, a primary source of food, has already been decimated by the fleas.

"We are hypothesizing that the minnow population may be having some trouble and it's an area we're recommending for further investigation."

While he said the impact of the flea may not be the "doomsday scenario" as far as walleye are concerned, change is happening.

"It looks to me at first glance that mid-level carnivore are switching prey," Filion said, "and understanding the biology of a lake is important for managing a commercial fishery sustainably."

We need to bring in carp to eat the fleas, then cormorants to eat the carp, then panthers to eat the cormorants and then land fleas to rid of the panthers.

Its gonna be an interesting summit. Filion sure is a leading researcher in this area... He was one of the teachers at my old high school

Its gonna be an interesting summit. Filion sure is a leading researcher in this area... He was one of the teachers at my old high school

I was going to say the same thing, had him for Chemistry.

Interesting read...

The nugget doesn't seem to allow comments on these sorts of articles anymore, afraid that someone might mention the obvious I suppose. It is amusing that these articles don't even mention that gill netting a lake and harvesting 1/3-1/2 more fish from the lake than ever before might be having an effect on the lakes balance. Seemslike awfully biased or fearful reporting to me.

The nugget doesn't seem to allow comments on these sorts of articles anymore, afraid that someone might mention the obvious I suppose. It is amusing that these articles don't even mention that gill netting a lake and harvesting 1/3-1/2 more fish from the lake than ever before might be having an effect on the lakes balance. Seemslike awfully biased or fearful reporting to me.

Why the hell would a spiny flea article discuss netting? That would be quite the tangent. rolleyes.gif

I imagine the nugget is waiting for intelligent commentary.

Why the hell would a spiny flea article discuss netting? That would be quite the tangent. rolleyes.gif

I imagine the nugget is waiting for intelligent commentary.

Right, because they just happen to be talking about this for no reason at all, it has nothng to do with the lakes' ecosystem and the commercial/sport fishery on the lake, you actually believe that this would be in the news at all if it weren't for the possible impact on the lakes' fisheries? Did you read the article, you might have noticed the whole last half of it was about the ecosystem of lake Nipissing, as I mentioned though, and as with the smelts articles we have seen, the article never mentions the biggest change in the ecosystem, that being the commercial fishery. It is pretty obvious that removing a large number of predators from the food chain will have an impact throughout the whole ecosystem, maybe even affecting the water flea population, that subject just never comes up in these articles.

As far as your insult goes, I hope it made you feel good.

Right, because they just happen to be talking about this for no reason at all, it has nothng to do with the lakes' ecosystem and the commercial/sport fishery on the lake, you actually believe that this would be in the news at all if it weren't for the possible impact on the lakes' fisheries? Did you read the article, you might have noticed the whole last half of it was about the ecosystem of lake Nipissing, as I mentioned though, and as with the smelts articles we have seen, the article never mentions the biggest change in the ecosystem, that being the commercial fishery. It is pretty obvious that removing a large number of predators from the food chain will have an impact throughout the whole ecosystem, maybe even affecting the water flea population, that subject just never comes up in these articles.

As far as your insult goes, I hope it made you feel good.

Same song over and over...

what they are getting at in the article is that the spiny flea is affecting the forage base in the lake. Even though you know that the commercial fishery is definitly the biggest change in the ecosystem, let alone that the natural population of walleye in Nipissing has been replaced by stockers over the past 60 years, it doesn't mean that your opinion is a fact. Mr. Fillion is a great researcher and from what I know has no direct affiliation with our local native band, if he saw the commercial fishery as the number one concern for nipissing, I'm sure he would have stated that quite clearly. That guy has done so much for Trout Lake and has fought tooth and nail for the small ouinaniche and Lake Trout population in that lake, both against the lakeside residence, the MNR and others...he doesn't hold back much.

"It is pretty obvious that removing a large number of predators from the food chain will have an impact throughout the whole ecosystem, maybe even affecting the water flea population, that subject just never comes up in these articles. "

Everytime Nipissing walleye are mentioned on this site, or in public, the commercial fishery is discussed, usually in a negative manner. I don't think that one The Nugget (yesterday's news as I call it) article will make a difference for your argument. This was a good article in my opinion and it shows that there is more than one issue with our dear lake.

Every time Nipissing walleye are mentioned on this site, or in public, the commercial fishery is discussed, usually in a negative manner. This was a good article in my opinion and it shows that there is more than one issue with our dear lake.

Everyone has their opinion, but if you were to reduce or remove the biggest problem, I dare say the fish population would slowly return to very sustainable rates that would benefit everyone.

Everyone has their opinion, but if you were to reduce or remove the biggest problem, I dare say the fish population would slowly return to very sustainable rates that would benefit everyone.

Except those who rely on commecial fishing for their livelyhood.

I'd say there is a better chance that general polution and lack of care for the lake has affected the walleye more than anything. The flea, as an invasive species are included in this...the majority of people who use the lake for fun don't give a hoot, people who use it to put gas in their car, well they have to.

10-4 on the opinion...we are all entitled.

Edited by Rod Caster

Ok, all kidding aside, I don't know Mr. Fillion and if you say he has done good work, that's good enough for me... however, that being said, from what you have written, he is an acknowledged and well known personality within the district.

(now I may be reaching for straws here) But what kind of target would a man of such high profile, have on his head should he attempt to bring the commercial netting industry into the discussion involving the health of the lake? When money starts to enter into it, good law abiding folks can start to see red...

HH

Ok, all kidding aside, I don't know Mr. Fillion and if you say he has done good work, that's good enough for me... however, that being said, from what you have written, he is an acknowledged and well known personality within the district.

(now I may be reaching for straws here) But what kind of target would a man of such high profile, have on his head should he attempt to bring the commercial netting industry into the discussion involving the health of the lake? When money starts to enter into it, good law abiding folks can start to see red...

HH

He's one of those scientists who genuinly cares for what he's researching, it's possible he has other motivations but I wouldn't speculate that from a guy like him. To be honest, he might be trying to save Trout Lake more than anything with this Nipissing spiny flea topic. That guy loves trout lake more than I love cold beer on hot days.

As I mentioned, Lake Erie has had a HUGE population of water fleas since the mid 80's OR even before that....but gill netting was outlawed and bought out in all the states that border the lake....since then the populations of walleye and perch have exploded. NUFF SAID.

It's funny how some people think gill netting walleye in Lake Nipissing is somthing new and invasive, gill netting in the lake has been going on for decades. It is not somthing new, the difference is that now it is a legitmate fishery with quotas, seasons and regulations. Fishery managers have been hired and studies are being done to protect and enhance the fishery. The spiny water flea is a new invasive specie, gill netting is not.

No, the difference now is that gill netting has been “legitimized” by our wonderful government. Rules, quotas and what not are voluntary unless and until those netting can find a way to truly enforce their guidelines. There is unfortunately no political will to open that can of worms, at any political level. The King is not wearing any clothes.

HH

The regulations are enforced by the first nation. Justice circles have been held, in the past 2 years 9 people have gone (for moratorium infractions) and none have re-offended. Their enforcement is out 4-5 times a week, audits are completed on fisherman and their catch reports, restaurants, markets etc send us info on numbers they are purchases and from who. We are a small community, everyone see's everything and its surprising how many people call in to report infractions.

Nets cost about $150 per panel, plus 3-5 days shipping. When they don't follow the regulations their gear is lifted out of the water and they need to pay to get them back. The cost is compareable to new. 5 nets = $750 fine. They seem to want to be compliant when they are loosing their gear.

On another note about invasive species, we have caught black crappie near Jocko point, as well as what appears to be a mirror carp. Massive scales and most were missing, looked more like 80% of body was this leathery skin.

Again if anyone has questions about the commercial fishery or the history please feel free to ask. I don't get on here alot but will try to answer what i can.