Boat Steering - Legend Console

Sharkbait22

I have a 2004 Legend. Great boat but the steering seems loose. Trims out fine and there's not a lot of play. The problem is when trolling because the kick of the motor (Optimax 90) will slowly steer the boat. It's a real pain when tending rods while on the move. There is also the concern of the motor steering rapidly while on plane and trimmed out right. Fortunately this hasn't happen - I just have to keep my hands on the wheel.

Anyways. Is there something I can adjust to apply some friction to prevent the "motor kick turn". I remember a 9.9 Merc I once owned had a screw to tighten the steering. I think they even called it the autopilot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a 2004 Legend. Great boat but the steering seems loose. Trims out fine and there's not a lot of play. The problem is when trolling because the kick of the motor (Optimax 90) will slowly steer the boat. It's a real pain when tending rods while on the move. There is also the concern of the motor steering rapidly while on plane and trimmed out right. Fortunately this hasn't happen - I just have to keep my hands on the wheel.

Anyways. Is there something I can adjust to apply some friction to prevent the "motor kick turn". I remember a 9.9 Merc I once owned had a screw to tighten the steering. I think they even called it the autopilot. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I had the same issue with the Teleflex steering system on my boat. I finally got tired of going in circles when setting the riggers so I replaced it wit a Teleflex NFB Helm and matching cable. No more problem. The NFB Helms have a built in clutch that will lock the steering when you are not turning, but functions normally when turning. I think it cost me about $230 US but it was money well spent.

Here's a link for ya

As an added bonus they are on sale. :clapping:

Teleflex NFB Helm & Cable Kit

Make sure you remove your old cable to measure it to get the right length (I didn't and got it wrong and had to send back for exchange $$$$$ :()

Well thanks for the replies. Yes it's single Teleflex steering. It's a pita. Seems like poor design/dangerous too. I will call Legend tomorrow and see what they have to say. The Hillbilly approach might work for a bit. This website (its members) is so helpful. Thanks.

NFB Safe-T II is a great choice for most single outboards up to V-4, 50 mph. Replaces Teleflex Safe-T and Morse® Command 290 systems. Stainless steel cable ends fit most brands and sizes of motors. The No-Feedback system is perfect for boats with top speeds up to 50 mph and where very quick steering response is required. The No-Feedback system has a patented clutch that locks out steering loads from your engine, saving your arms for fishing. The NFB Safe-T ll Single cable three turns lock-to-lock and fits right into existing Teleflex rotary dash cut outs. This kit comes complete with cable, helm, bezel, hardware and instructions. Wheels to 16" dia.

Lengths: 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 or 17 ft.