Fly-in Peninsular Lk report

chris.brock

flew into Peninsular Lk from Jellicoe, an outpost of Ara Lake Lodge, for a week, 4 guys

it's a giant lake with only 1 other camp, lots to explore, as well as the Attwood River dumping in and flowing out

765 fish total, including mostly walleye and pike, 8 brookies and 1 whitefish

a big year class of 21 and 22 inch walleye made the average walleye size great, in the evening, in some spots, fish could be caught on almost every cast

the bigger pike seemed to be MIA until the last day when we caught an 8, 9 and a 13.5 lbs fish, I'm guessing, fishing this week would produce alot of big pike if targeted, we were likely a week early

5 of the 8 brookies were over 2 lbs, we could have probably caught alot more, but we layed off them, they weren't releasing that well and we were catching and releasing them, they liked bigger baits like mepps #3, and larger cleos

we had a great trip, not a drop of rain, moderate wind, great sunsets, northern lights, wildlife (moose, eagles, a bear, a marten as well as a tame groundhog and a tame grey jay)

it's pricey but I would recommend the outfitter and the lake

Well then, the pike should be prime when I get up there later this week!!! We'll be staying at a house in town so we can spend three days on Nipigon, another on a small brookie lake, a couple of walleye and pike lakes as well...the best part about going fishing with a local is having access to many so-called fly-in lakes that have boats stashed at them....usually a 20 minute hike through the bush from unmarked former logging roads.... :whistling:

I have no idea what the names of the lakes are...we aren't allowed to turn on a GPS on the way in or at the lake...I'm surprised he doesn't blindfold us..lol..All I can tell you is that we drive for and hour and a half north on roads that get progressively smaller and smaller until the brush rubs both sides of the truck. Then we walk 100 yards further, turn into the bush and walk for another 20 minutes....The boats and motors are brought in by snowmobile in the winter and they have to be well hidden from the fly-in guys...they have a habit of chopping holes in boats that are stashed...Big lakes on crown land...go figure

I have no idea what the names of the lakes are...we aren't allowed to turn on a GPS on the way in or at the lake...I'm surprised he doesn't blindfold us..lol..All I can tell you is that we drive for and hour and a half north on roads that get progressively smaller and smaller until the brush rubs both sides of the truck. Then we walk 100 yards further, turn into the bush and walk for another 20 minutes....The boats and motors are brought in by snowmobile in the winter and they have to be well hidden from the fly-in guys...they have a habit of chopping holes in boats that are stashed...Big lakes on crown land...go figure

Most fly in lakes that have logging roads accessing them don't have exclusive rights to the lake.

However using those roads to access the lakes is in most cases illegal.

It's not surprising the fly in guys chop holes in the boats.

From the plane, you can see clear cuts and logging roads pretty close to lakes like Ara, Meta, Kag etc, I was surprised to see how far north of the Ogoki River the roads have gone, there's even a logging or mining base camp up there, on alot of the southern lakes, there's a little buffer of trees hiding a clear cut

the natives have a free pass to travel wherever they please, I'm OK with that

I can see where the fly-in outfitters are coming from though, it's a tough sell to fly people in for $1200 when you can drive in and camp for nothing with a little effort

I've heard stories of Lee Cole out of Chapleau being pretty fiesty with portagers who get into his outpost lakes

My linkSome of the lakes are ones that the outfitters offer day trips on. They do the same thing, stash a boat and fly people in for the day. The problems come when both are there at once. We don't go in where there are permanent camps though. There are so many lakes, you don't have to fish any lake more than once or twice...Pasha Lake Camp has a drive-to lake that they call the lake of a million Walleye...check it out on their website..