Boat,Motor, Trailer and Gear Total Package Weight???

RickOnt

Looking at buying a Boat,Motor,Trailer package

Boat in the 17' to 17'6" range with at least a 90 and preferably a 115 HP. Plus trailer and gear.

What would a Rig like this weigh???

I know I can get motor weight and hull dry weight plus trailer!!from the manufacture specs.

But what would the live weight,ready to go including gear and fuel, weigh in at??

Thanks

Rick

Hey Dave

That's the info I was looking for!

I was calculating a little heavier closer to 3000lbs.

Thanks

Rick

I know my hull weighs 900#, 90 horse 2 stroke about 300#, 44#'s for the kicker, trailer about 500#, 3 batteries close to 200# and 18 gallons of fuel about 110# and add about 60#'s or so for the bow mount TM.

That works out to 2114#'s. You're going to add 100#'s pounds for a 4 stroke either 90 or 115 HP which will bring you up to 2214#'s (on my boat at least). This still leaves almost 300# for gear before you hit 2500#'s. ;)

This is my 18 foot Fisher.

Boat2.jpg

I know my hull weighs 900#, 90 horse 2 stroke about 300#, 44#'s for the kicker, trailer about 500#, 3 batteries close to 200# and 18 gallons of fuel about 110# and add about 60#'s or so for the bow mount TM.

That works out to 2114#'s. You're going to add 100#'s pounds for a 4 stroke either 90 or 115 HP which will bring you up to 2214#'s (on my boat at least). This still leaves almost 300# for gear before you hit 2500#'s. ;)

This is my 18 foot Fisher.

Boat2.jpg

Drifter has done a good job including many items some would forget about....like the trolling motor...it all adds up.....

My 16'4" boat goes about 850#...50hp motor another 250#... trailer I am guessing about 350#....2 batteries 120#....gas and tanks 105#... 2 gallons of oil 16# ..trolling motor 50#...fishing gear guessing 200# which includes anchors rain gear, rods & reels, two fishing boxes with lots of jigs, emergency tools, ect....total 1941 pounds give or take a few pounds....truck towing capacity....8000 lbs...well under the limit... :)

I am planning on Towing with a Jeep Wrangler 4 door.

It has a Towing package and a Tow Capacity of 3500 lbs.

It is a 6 cyl so it won't be a speed demon !!! But most of my towing would be local.

Rick

I have a 17 LUND side console with 115 4 stroke and 9.9 kicker with all the fishing gear and a full tank of fuel she comes in at 2.742 lbs and my YUKON I pull it with is just under 6000 lbs . AND just so you know I have no brakes on my trailer . BUT i wish i did . Some times on the 400 and 401 it has been very close to a rear ender. make sure you leave a big space at all times.

I Hear Ya Mr P on the brakes!

I think my Jeep could pull the set-up but the Jeep weighs in at 4200 Lbs.

So braking would be or could be an issue.

Most Boat trailer packages I have looked at do not have brakes,

Would it be a Big Job or Big $$ to add trailer brakes??

Rick

brakes required @ 3000#

to add hydraulics change to surge brake coupling, piping kit, new hub assy with brakes from the backing plate out.

2-3 hours work about 400$

electric brakes add new hub assy with brakes and wire

1-2 hours about 200$

no biggy either way, this is of course if you cant order the trailer with brakes.

my stratos excursion (glass) weighs about 1900, motor about 300, trailer 600, fuel and batteries 500, gear and accesories another 200, trailer maxed out at about 3500#

I Hear Ya Mr P on the brakes!

I think my Jeep could pull the set-up but the Jeep weighs in at 4200 Lbs.

So braking would be or could be an issue.

Most Boat trailer packages I have looked at do not have brakes,

Would it be a Big Job or Big $$ to add trailer brakes??

Rick

Rick I think you will do just fine towing with your Jeep.The boat you describe would be no problem for your jeep.

I pull my 16 ft Lund with a Honda Odyssey max towing is 3500lbs .My set up is around 1500lbs barely know its there.

I also pull a Tent trailer 2614 lbs empty ,when its full its over 3000lbs my van pulls it with eaze.I do have brakes for the tent trailer but not required for the boat.

I think you will be just fine with your jeep so go buy that boat and enjoy bud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smally I am looking at an Aluminum Hull So it would be qite a bit lighter than your Statos.

Thanks for the info on Brakes and Pricing,

MtP Just gotta find the "Right" One

Rick

I wouldn't go much higher than around 2500lbs. This question comes up fairly often. Tow capacities are calculated based on a 150lb driver and a tank of gas in the vehicle. That's it, no passengers, no gear or stuff in the Jeep, nothing! Whatever goes in the vehicle comes off the capacity, something to remember. Braking is a big factor to consider, a panic stop with a lot of weight in the back is no fun. If you keep your speed to the posted limit, you should be fine but you need to really pay attention to what is going on around you and have plenty of space in front of you.