Top water Question

NAW

Made a stop at BPS on Thursday. I picked up a few new top water lures. A buzz bait, and a Spro frog. The buzz bait is pretty self explanatory. Cast it out, and a steady retrieve.

I'm not to sure the best way to work the Spro frog though? Should I be poping it, with a long pause. Or a bunch of little popes, like walking the dog. Or just a slow steady retrieve.

I guess it all depends of what I'm fishing for, and where I'm fishing.

I was just curious to know how you guys work a Spro Frog.

Any input would be great.

Do they work for top water pike?, or just bass?

This is the one I bought.

http://www.spro.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SBEF60GRNT

Edit: After posting this, I watched a couple u-tube vids, and it seems everyone works it a little different..

Edited by N.A.W

When I first started fishing hollow plastic frogs I went down to the swamp and watched how the frogs move around and its never the same I will say though when they are on the move they don't mess around they want to get from point A to point B in a hurry but they will pause in a safe spot like a log,lilly pad or a boulder for a rest. I tend to work them fairly eradic fast,slow, pause and go what ever seems to be triggering strikes that day. Also don't be to steady with a buzzbait either pop it and speed up and slow down with it it drives them nuts when ya give it a good rip and really Buzz it usually when something hits the water like a large bug or a small bird like the buzzbait is imitating they are in a panic to get out of the water that's why topwater is so much fun cause there's so many ways to do it and they are all effective and pike will destroy spro frogs litterally pain in the butt when your after bass have fun with them they work great.

If you bought the spro popping frog, then fish it as you would a popper - very effective.

If you bought a normal bronzeye one, then I would suggest you walk the dog over areas with little vegetation, and fish it real slow in heavy vegetation (mats/pads) stopping over holes in the vegetation.

I've caught pike and bass on them.

Just out of personal preference, I tend to break into the plastic a bit by collapsing the frog a couple of times, since spro plastic tends to be stiffer than most.-When it comes to frogs I will take what ever hook up advantage I can get.

Also, spro frogs will fill up with water-Some people completely close up the holes to prevent this but that might hinder hook ups since the frog isn't collapsing as well.

Good luck, hope you get some awesome topwater fury

FFF

A pike will make short work of that SPro frog or any soft plastic bait for that matter.

My fav topwater bait for pike are Zara Spooks.. Zara Spook Jr's to be exact.

Best day of pike fishing I had with a spro it lasted for 6-7 fish per frog, all around 5-6lbs before it was totally pooched. which can make for a expensive day but they are fun on topwater I would think big gators would do a lot more damage but the smaller ones aren't to bad and they launch right out of the water with the frog in their mouth really fun fishing I think I haven't tried topwater for pike yet this year cause I always wait till Bass is open to prevent the OOS bass hook up's but real soon I will be after the gators on top right after I beat on some fat smallies for a bit then the buckets and gators are in trouble :w00t:

Best day of pike fishing I had with a spro it lasted for 6-7 fish per frog, all around 5-6lbs before it was totally pooched. which can make for a expensive day but they are fun on topwater I would think big gators would do a lot more damage but the smaller ones aren't to bad and they launch right out of the water with the frog in their mouth really fun fishing I think I haven't tried topwater for pike yet this year cause I always wait till Bass is open to prevent the OOS bass hook up's but real soon I will be after the gators on top right after I beat on some fat smallies for a bit then the buckets and gators are in trouble :w00t:

The plastic Yum frogs with the wobbly feet also work great and won't cost you an arm and a leg :) Might wanna try them out.

Thanks for the great input guys!

That's a good idea about waiting untill bass season opens up before tossing the frog.

I'll have to grab one of those Zara Spooks. I've herd other people talking highly about them too.

The plastic Yum frogs with the wobbly feet also work great and won't cost you an arm and a leg :) Might wanna try them out.

I use a venom soft plastic frog most of the time cost's me $23 for a bag of 50 and they are awesome I have used the yum frogs before I like them and they are tough but I can never find the good colors around here.