Canoe Transducer Mount

Ziki

as the title says I'm building a transducer mount for my canoe. I am planning on using some type of lightweight rod that is either easily removable or can rotate on a point to remove the transducer from the water for shallow water and portaging.

Looking for the best place to place the transducer (I am thinking directly behind the canoe to reduce drag but that might give me a delayed reading?)

Any other tips or pictures would be great.

Thanks guys!

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i have mine on a small 1x3 piece of scrap wood and held onto the canoe with a felt padded c-clamp. i beveled the leading edge of the wood to reduce drag. i mount it in the centre of the canoe, approximately at the yoke. i don't seem to notice any drag.

simple yet effective.

i would mount it in the canoe and shoot in through the Fibreglass .....

Through the hull is always the cleanest way. Years ago my father made a bracket up for a small boat we used on a log filled lake. It was a T shape contraption that clamped along the gunnel and hung down. The nifty part was he added a spring the leading edge of it so if we hit a log or beached the boat, the transducer lay back without harm. I hadn't thought of that in years...good luck.

Dave

If you are going to do a hang over the side mount, I'd put it where you can reach it from your seated position. This way you can clear weeds off of it without having to stop and get out. My kayak is a hybrid that is essentially a single canoe that you propel with a kayak paddle and I can reach my transducer by dropping my hand over the gunnel.

When I had mine, I had my transducer mounted on a short piece of 1x3 which had a 4 inch suction cup attached on the other side of it. I would just stick it to the side of the canoe right beside me. Worked good. Used it the same way on my buddies aluminum boat.