VHS Management Zone - SW Ontario

scugpg

Down here we have a VHS zone where you are not allowed to transfer minnows into certain zones. I was wondering what you can do to cover yourself when buying from a baitshop. Should they have records of where they were harvested or "VHS free" certification or something? Or maybe get a receipt?

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/239471.html

I asked this question to the MNR last year. Here is a summary of their response:

1) As you said, the issue is with the fish disease called VHS. The MNR has set up a VHS Management Zone as shown in your link.

2) Bait dealers and harvesters are not allowed to transfer bait from within the zone to an area outside the zone. Both dealers and harvesters are licensed and monitored by the MNR.

3) There is no legislation affecting the angler (only ethical issues).

3)There are several bait shops inside the zone.

4) Dealers who sell bait inside the zone get there bait outside the zone. That MNR know the minnows could be going to lakes outside the zone.

Edited by Homer Is King

I asked this question to the MNR last year. Here is a summary of their response:

1) As you said, the issue is with the fish disease called VHS. The MNR has set up a VHS Management Zone as shown in your link.

2) Bait dealers and harvesters are not allowed to transfer bait from within the zone to an area outside the zone. Both dealers and harvesters are licensed and monitored by the MNR.

3) There is no legislation affecting the angler (only ethical issues).

3)There are several bait shops inside the zone.

4) Dealers who sell bait inside the zone get there bait outside the zone. That MNR know the minnows could be going to lakes outside the zone.

So that said, in London there are 2-3 bait dealers that are all in the VHS zone. So if one wants to go to Pittock (for example) which is in the VHS protected zone, can you still use that bait there, or is it best to check if it is certified. As to your #3 point I thought there is a fine for having minnows in/out of the zone?

The MNR info line person said there is no fine for an angler to take bait fish from inside the Zone to outside the zone. There is only a charge for dealers and harvesters. This is nothing to stop an angler from trapping there own minnows inside the zone and using them outside the zone (expect your own ethics).

In your case you will be using minnows inside the zone. It doesn't matter where they came from (in or out of the zone).

If you buy your minnows from a legal - MNR licensed dealer they should be from outside the zone and you should be able to use them anywhere. Having said that you should always try and buy your bait locally to help reduce the chance of spreading a disease.

Hope that helps. I think your good to go!

I have found that different COs can give different interpretations of the regs. If you're in doubt call your local office and ask them.

Edited by Homer Is King

We have been affect by this for the last 3 years....we could only purchase minnow from a bait dealer that were "Certified" as not having the VHS disease....but they were VERY expensive $7 per 4 dozen....AND the problem was they were NOT Lake Erie Emerald Shiners but rather a golden shiner that ALMOST looked like them...but didn't work anywhere as good....This year our DEC had a public hearing on this problem and since no VHS has shown up in 2 years of their testing they are suppose to lift the ban and have areas like you have........HOWEVER, after all this BULL they still haven't lifted the ban for NYS....but it's coming.... :rolleyes:

With all that said myself and MANY MANY others have started to dip our own bait and use it for perch fishing on Lake Erie....no harm whatsoever as that is where the bait is coming from in the first place.

Bob

$7 for 4 doz is expensive???? Try $5/doz here.

OUCH....we use to pay $2 for a large dip...about 100 or a bit more...now I the day before I go down to the river and with one dip I have about 2-3 hundred....way too many even for the 8 gallon bucket I have for minnows....I ask all the black guys fishing the wall if they need bait before I head home...some of those guys are doing pretty good on the white perch there... :thumbsup_anim:

$6.00/doz here in Lindsay. Worms $15.00/100

Worms are $2 per dozen and up....but their imported.... :whistling: ...Canadian Wigglers....at least that's what they say... :rolleyes:

Oh....and YES we must keep our stamped receipt..

Edited by Billy Bob

Worms are $2 per dozen and up....but their imported.... :whistling: ...Canadian Wigglers....at least that's what they say... :rolleyes:

Oh....and YES we must keep our stamped receipt..

How the heck are our Canadian Wigglers more expensive that yours!!?? haha, wow we get the shaft here.

How the heck are our Canadian Wigglers more expensive that yours!!?? haha, wow we get the shaft here.

Walmart now sells them here for about $2.79 for 20 worms...used to be 24 (2 dozen)...I guess they don't think anyone will notice you get less and less and pay more and more...but I do... :whistling:

What's nice if you do purchase worms at Walmart is they have a small frig in the Sporting Goods section and you can help yourself...so I go through each container to make sure they are alive and FRESH...no one cares that works there.

Bob