plainer board mast

vinnimon

Not any morebiggrin.gif

Last week while digging up prices etc, and seeing someones homemade mast made me think, I can make a better onebiggrin.gif And for much lessthumbsup_anim.gif

So far I have 60$ tied into it including the line. By the time Im done, it shouldnt be more than 120$, pending which which reels I use.whistling.gif

I will post a few pics as I go.

Stub and base finished, mast welded up, now to install the extras and a little extra as wellwhistling.gif

I will post a few pics later on.biggrin.gif

The boards will be this weekends job.

Good job I built my first mast also it was not the best thing but did the job I bit the bullet the second season and got the Big Jon. If I had made a nice one the first time I would have stuck with it as its always nice to have some home made stuff on board.

Well here you go guys and gals, you wanted picsbiggrin.gif

My neighbour as always came over to give me a hand, and another I called over to ask his opinion. All I can say on their part isthumbsup_anim.gif

Im not sure I want to use 2 of these reels, but for temporary purposes' , they will suffice.

There is also another addition to the project, but that can wait for the time being.tongue.gif If youve been on lloyds boat, then you will know what i am adding to it. There were 2 left on sale on the shelf at home depot todaythumbsup_anim.gif

Its still in rough form for now, and Im not sure wether to polish it or paint it as of yet. Time will tell.

On to the picsbiggrin.gif

Nice looking mast. I made one for my bowrider as well. What I used was a piece of round stock that was the same diameter as a flag post. Picked up a stainless flag pole holder for a boat and mounted it to the floor in the bow just on the other side of the windshield. This was nice because in rougher water I was still able to keep my bow cover on to keep things dry. Being young I didn't have the money to purchase reels so I placed two pegs through the stock and bent the ends at an angle to wrap the planer line.

Great looking mast; the thing looks strong enough to double as a skier’s pull pylon.

Could I make a suggestion; have you thought of possibly connecting a spring between the mast pulley and the chain link connector?

It would act as a shock absorber when a wave would slam the side of plainer board and hopefully prevent unintentional knock offs. It would also take a lot of the strain off of the mast’s mounting hardware; the boat and the board’s tow line.

The size and pull strength of the coil spring would depend on the size & weight of your planer boards. It should be of a strength that on a calm day at trolling speed and lines rigged. The spring should be approx ¼ of its compressed length extended (stretched). The springs we used were approx 10 or 11 inches long at rest and 12 – 14 inches when under load pulling the boards.

One other thing we did was to connect a length of down rigger cable between the pulley and chain connector. The cable was about double the length of the spring’s compressed length. This would allow us to crank in the boards as hard or as quickly we wanted without over extending and damaging the spring. The cable also acted as a safety in case the spring would decide to beak.

Just throwing the idea out there; it worked well for us.

Dan.

Thanks Dan and Mike for your input. Like I mentioned its in bare form so far, a little tinkering and what not this weekend.

I do need to cut a hole in the bow(back rest area) to install the supports. Once thats done, then I need to figure out the mount. I built 2 temp mounts so far. One short and one long one. I would prefer something thats sits very low, such as a rigger base.

As for springs, I think I may have a few in my tool box that may work.Heavy duty and short.

I will keep you guys posted as I go