McCrae Lake - Access?

addy79

Hi All,

I've decided to check out McCrae Lake for a day of fishing from the canoe this Friday. My research shows there is a respectable variety of fish:

http://www.muskokawaterweb.ca/1/1.5/factsheets/McCrae_Lake.pdf

I have found one previous report from an OFC'er that mentioned an access road with a LOT of parked cars on it etc. but cant seem to figure out the best way to access the lake from looking at my maps. I assume I would exit at Crooked Bay Rd. #168 off the 400. none of the main roads lead right to the lake, does anyone know if there is a small dirt raod that will get me there? Or can you access McDonald Lake and paddle into McCrae from the Crooked Bay exit? :unsure::unsure:

Appreciate any help from someone familiar with the area.

Thanks guys!

Edited by addy79

I know guys that go McRae lake a few times a year. They don't fish, so I'm not sure about the fishing. They hike in from the access road. I've heard that they started ticketing cars there though. So watch where you park.

I know guys that go McRae lake a few times a year. They don't fish, so I'm not sure about the fishing. They hike in from the access road. I've heard that they started ticketing cars there though. So watch where you park.

Really?! It's funny they would ticket there considering it looks like there is a dead end road there specifically for people to access the lake. Looks like a pretty far hike!

Really?! It's funny they would ticket there considering it looks like there is a dead end road there specifically for people to access the lake. Looks like a pretty far hike!

I might be thinking about a different place up that way. There's an access road that leads to a radio tower, and there has to be clear access for any emergency vehicles. One long weekend, the OPP ticketed all the cars parked along the road.

It might have been a road accessing part of the Mcdonald, or Gibson river now that I think of it.

Either way, something to watch out for..

McCrae has some fish but it's tough fishing there, I have a buddy who has a boat/motor cache there for when he camps and he has a tough time catching there. For the amount of trouble to get there, I'd try somewhere else.

McCrae has been party central for years/decades. I use to drop my Quality Manager off at the bottom of the rapids coming out of it, into GBay, on Friday of the May 24 weekend and he'd walk all the way to the party thru the bush.

I'm pretty sure most of the road, off 400/69, is now posted no parking, in an effort to curb this.

Edited by irishfield

LOL

Sounds like I need to keep looking...

This is more work than I thought it would be. :dunno:

Anyone know what river that is that crosses under the 400 at Iroquois Cranberry Growers Dr.? Looks like it opens up just east of the 400.

you'd think picking a water body would be as easy as throwin a dart at the map...apparently not

anyone with experience canoe fishing wanna chime in with some suggestions?

appreciate all the input!

That is the Musquash River. Use to be a boat launch on the West side of the old highway, but not sure if they put one back anywhere after the 4 laneing. Possibly over on the Cranberry growers road....

There are a few rapid sections downstream before it gets to Georgian Bay and to the best of my knowledge it's not navigable down there. Many seem to fish that stretch of river though....

McCrae has some fish but it's tough fishing there, I have a buddy who has a boat/motor cache there for when he camps and he has a tough time catching there. For the amount of trouble to get there, I'd try somewhere else

I agree. We used to go there 20 years ago and it was getting to be a busy spot then. Fishing wasn't great either...some hammerhandles, some smallies, some crappies but for the effort not as good as you would expect. There's a parking lot off Georgian Bay Rd right near the highway. Short portage to the first lake, then a short portage to a river that leads to McRae.

yeah, from what I've heard, I'm gonna pass on McCrae. did a search online, its unfortunate what people have done there. You'd think that people who enjoy camping and the outdoors would respect the lake enough to clean up after themselves!

Decided to go to a lake just south of parry sound, west of the 400.

thanks for the input, wish me luck!

Guest gbfisher

yeah, from what I've heard, I'm gonna pass on McCrae. did a search online, its unfortunate what people have done there. You'd think that people who enjoy camping and the outdoors would respect the lake enough to clean up after themselves!

Decided to go to a lake just south of parry sound, west of the 400.

thanks for the input, wish me luck!

We took a Zodiac up there once.. :Gonefishing: ..you shoulda seen the looks we got. :o The place was PACKED with tent people. I guess they didn't like motor boats... :D

We took a Zodiac up there once.. :Gonefishing: ..you shoulda seen the looks we got. :o The place was PACKED with tent people. I guess they didn't like motor boats... :D

Boo hoo for them!! It's not a lake that is restricted for motorboats, those knuckleheads don't clean up after themselves and they are giving you dirty looks??? :dunno: