CTEK Charger ?

Fish Farmer

i've got 2 of them, they may get warm but not hot to the touch. If I have to recharge a battery that's been depleted, then it goes on the auto car charger first and then back on the CTEC.

By CTEC do you mean the setting with the pic of the motorcycle? That setting charges at the lowest aperage. I only use that setting, but I don't deplete my battery totally.

By CTEC do you mean the setting with the pic of the motorcycle? That setting charges at the lowest aperage. I only use that setting, but I don't deplete my battery totally.

No, those settings are for different sized batteries. What I mean is, I use a larger Schumacher 10Amp charger when the battery is really down, it would take a long time for the CTEC to bring a big deep cycle back up to 100%.

I used my new 27 deep cycle battery every day last week for 7 days strait, every night I came in, It got hooked up to the CTEK on the car setting. In the morning it showed 1/2 battery, it didn't get fully charged. I think on that setting it only gets 2 amps.

Like Fisherman says. Since I came home it's been charging 2 days now and it's not 100 %

Edited by Fish Farmer

I agree with Roy.....you really need a on-board charger if your fishing day after day....you little C-Tek would probably be OK if you just fished one day in the week....with my Cabela's on-board charger both my batteries are ready to go in just a few hours...but it will send more amps to the battery that needs them more....so my cranking battery will recharge on the way in so most of my amps will go to the trolling motor battery. Here's what I have mounted in my boat (ProSport II 12)....like it very much.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/AutoBoat-Batteries-Chargers/On-Board-Chargers-Inverters%7C/pc/104794380/c/104698080/sc/104465880/Cabelas-Advanced-Anglers-ProSport-II-On-Board-Marine-Battery-Chargers/734150.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fboating-auto-boat-batteries-chargers-on-board-chargers-inverters%2F_%2FN-1100565%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104465880%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104794380%253Bcat104698080&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104794380%3Bcat104698080%3Bcat104465880

Guys CTEK makes a 7 amp charger designed for larger batteries.

If your charging 110AH 31 series batteries or bigger you're pushing it to its absolute limit being a 3.3A charger on the 3300. Recommended range I think is 1.2 to 120AH on their US site.

I have no issues charging my batteries, but I have the small deep cycles somewhere around 55AH. If I charge the really big batteries it gets really warm and takes a very long time. Also as per manual for the 3 settings (motorcycle to Optima symbol):

Mode 14.4V/0.8A

This mode is normally used for batteries <14Ah.

Mode 14.4V/3.3A

Normal setting for wet batteries, maintenance free and for most Gel batteries.

Some gel batteries prefer a slightly lower voltage. Please consult the battery

manufacturer when in doubt.

Mode 14.7V/3.3A

This setting is recommended for a battery at temperatures <41°F. It is also

recommended for many AGM batteries like Optima, Maxxima and Odysses.

Consult your battery manufacturer when in doubt.